Great meet for the entire SouthEast

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
i think next year there should be a little more comunation on the other forums ei rx7club, and a 300zx forums im on rx7 club and i did not here any thing about it and i have 2 buddys with 300zxs and nether one of them heard about it. One of them made it the red one with that lined up to next to that supra that ran a 19.182. btw that was me and i blew my intercooler piping off. i just picked up the car that day and i thought that was going to happen but i thought that was all that was going to happen.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Uhhhh - That was me that ran the 19.182 I think. Thanks for pointing it out to the masses as I wanted to sorta forget about it but I take full responsibility.

It was my first pass ever, so is that any kind of excuse, maybe. The car is pretty much stock except for exhaust but should be at least be in the high 15's. The car still has the original head gasket. Until I get my MHG installed, I refuse to shift above 5300 rpm unless I'm racing a Mustang.

But I do agree on more exposure for next years meet. Several folks I know didn't hera about it in time to attend. Hopefully next years meet will be even bigger and better.

Last edited:

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Patrick...you ran a 17.xx man...he was talking about a 300zx...

Yea I wish there would have been some more cars there but overall it was an awesome meet.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
bhmsupra;1165136 said:
Uhhhh -

It was my first pass ever, so is that any kind of excuse, maybe. The car is pretty much stock except for exhaust but should be at least be in the high 15's. The car still has the original head gasket. Until I get my MHG installed, I refuse to shift above 5300 rpm unless I'm racing a Mustang.
Patrick, you're car is too damn nice to be getting torn up on the track anyway. You should be fine with a re-torque to at least run it up to 6 grand or a little under. That's where the CT-26 runs out of steam anyway. The MHG is already in the plans though, so if it blew, you only have to change the time table a little, not make all new plans. A few more passes down the track, and your car should be able to get into the 15's. there's a thread either here or SF from outofstep, that will give you some very good pointers. I think it is stickied somewhere, but haven't looked for it in a long time.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
I ran a 17.XX??? Wooo Hoooo. Thats NASTY!!!

03bamaGT, I mentioned I wanted to forget all about that embarrasing pass and forget the number. I threw my slip out the window on the way home.

ForcedTorque, thanks for the compliments on my lil red car.

I kinda have two separate initiatives with my car going on right now.

#1 - Win 1st in show next year instead of 3rd.
#2 - Get the car respectably fast while maintaining the reliability of the 7MGTE platform.

I have concepts on how to achieve both initiatives. I dont plan on banging the car down the track all that much but I must admit I did enjoy the pass and it is an infectious adrenalin rush that I will get more of between today and next years meet, yea I will.

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
brad horton;1165045 said:
i think next year there should be a little more comunation on the other forums ei rx7club, and a 300zx forums im on rx7 club and i did not here any thing about it and i have 2 buddys with 300zxs and nether one of them heard about it....... QUOTE]

There was a huge thread about it on one of the RX-7 forums. They need to watch the SFS homepage instead of waiting for a thread.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Here is a video that Keith sent me. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going too. It has a lot of the same races he said, but clearer.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/kpsupra/

Patrick, if anyone can win first it will be you, but you're going to have to really really cheat to win over the MKIV's........sorry, but that's just the facts. I can't imagine what you would have to do to your car to make it more appealing, but at least you have a plan.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
suprahero;1167389 said:
Here is a video that Keith sent me. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going too. It has a lot of the same races he said, but clearer.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/kpsupra/

Patrick, if anyone can win first it will be you, but you're going to have to really really cheat to win over the MKIV's........sorry, but that's just the facts. I can't imagine what you would have to do to your car to make it more appealing, but at least you have a plan.

I agree with you on this one Jay...many judges will be biased to the MKIVs no matter the cleanliness. Patrick, you have everything going for you though. Just need to get to the modding.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
In the video, my car is smoking. Why didn't anyone tell me that. It looks like white smoke, what's up with that?

I know I've got a long way to go on my car. I try to have at least one mod every month until I am satisfied. Hadn't stopped yet, and wont be satisfied for a long time coming. I do appreciate the kind words and will be looking to all of you to ensure I am headed in the right direction with my car. I am new at this all and it is as fun as anything I have ever done.

My buddy in the STI is really wanting to see if anyone videod the pass where he edged our the GTO. Has anyone seen that video, not sure if anyone got it.

I also have not seen the 8.xx pass the MIIV made. Did anyone get that one on video?

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Hmm...it might have just been a little clutch dust...OR it was the first time your car was run hard with the new set-up and it was clearing it's system.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
It was more a grey/black smoke. I saw it, and attributed it to blowing out the carbon more than anything.

As said, first amongst a group of MKIV's is gonna be a monstrous feat. It blew my mind that they actually acknowledged your car. It is so damn nice that they had to, but still shocking that they did. That says a huge amount for your car. Last year at the Chicago meet, I don't believe the judges even looked at any of the MKIII's, and there were several of them worthy of some mention.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I agree with Scott and Ryan........your car definately deserved the honor it got, but next year it won't have 36000 miles on it and you'll have to really step up your game to get another award. At least you know that you have to make it awesome power wise while keeping the stockish look. Maybe the mint look and not so stokish. It's going to be hard either way. I wish I had asked the judges what my score was and what I needed to improve on to get an honorable mention. I would like to win something one day, but I enjoy the horsepower more than the cleanliness I guess. That's why my engine bay will usually be dirty and my tires will be bald............:evil2:

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
suprahero;1170603 said:
I agree with Scott and Ryan........your car definately deserved the honor it got, but next year it won't have 36000 miles on it and you'll have to really step up your game to get another award. At least you know that you have to make it awesome power wise while keeping the stockish look. Maybe the mint look and not so stokish. It's going to be hard either way. I wish I had asked the judges what my score was and what I needed to improve on to get an honorable mention. I would like to win something one day, but I enjoy the horsepower more than the cleanliness I guess. That's why my engine bay will usually be dirty and my tires will be bald............:evil2:

X2!!!!!

Definitely need to work on some power mods Patrick.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Yep - Like I said. I have two initiatives going for the red car at the same time. Appearance and power mods. At least one mod will go in every month until I am satisfied.

I try not to compare myself to the MKIV's or any other car for that matter. I do get inspiration to all the great looking MKIII's on the forums here and over on SF. I just want the car to be cool when I am done, learn a little along the way and make some new buddys.

Jay - you got those heads re-done yet. Anx to see how your new set-up works out.

Ryan - Got my eye on a 1984 Pony car. It was 79 Official Daytona Pace car. It is in Gadsden in a car port and has been there for about 10 years. We need to go look at it huh?

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Patrick, only one head going on this time.........but it's not finished yet. I took some parts today and the shims are suppose to be in tomorrow so he can start putting it back together. I don't know if this is going to help or not since all the smart people on here say that it isn't. That kinda scares me since it could be the rings messing up somehow even though they're brand new. I'll keep you guys posted and you can also check out my thread for updates, although I haven't had too much to post in there lately.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
bhmsupra;1171165 said:
Yep - Like I said. I have two initiatives going for the red car at the same time. Appearance and power mods. At least one mod will go in every month until I am satisfied.

I try not to compare myself to the MKIV's or any other car for that matter. I do get inspiration to all the great looking MKIII's on the forums here and over on SF. I just want the car to be cool when I am done, learn a little along the way and make some new buddys.

Jay - you got those heads re-done yet. Anx to see how your new set-up works out.

Ryan - Got my eye on a 1984 Pony car. It was 79 Official Daytona Pace car. It is in Gadsden in a car port and has been there for about 10 years. We need to go look at it huh?

Patrick, I would honestly say that I believe anything you do to that car will take away from the beauty that the judges saw. They were impressed with the way it looked like it hadn't shaken off all of the showroom yet. As said, awards for the MKIII are very rare. If I were you, I would continue with your car as you have planned, and be happy with it. Awards are great, but it is your car, and you want to enjoy it. Just don't get your feelings hurt if the awards don't continue. Let the car be your award, like the rest of us are stuck with. I just wish they would give awards for each generation. There are some fine examples of what a Supra should be right here in this thread of 3 of the 4 generations. I wish they could get some recognition sometimes.