Gray harness on an 87

Crazybobmundo

Mar 24, 2006
Nashua, NH
Ok so I have been looking around and dont know where I can get this information...

I went to the junk yard and got an 89+ bumper, ECU, ECU harness, Igniter, intercooler, Oil cooler and many NA->T swap parts for $210.

My problem is though that I have an 86.5 Supra. Is there a way to fit the Gray electronics to my 86.5?
Also is there a way to use my existing NA harness to mod the gray harness for it to plug in to the dashboard harness so my gauges work?
I know Ive seen my friends set up and his gauges dont work period because he did just that, installed gray electronics on his 87.

or would it be better to just sell ECU and harness and buy a yellow harness?\

I hope this makes sense to someone, Thanks.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Sell your gray harness and ecu. I tried to do this my self i got tired of messing with the wiring and just sold everything on ebay. It was to time consuming to even try to make it work.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Crazybobmundo;962924 said:
Ok so I have been looking around and dont know where I can get this information...

I went to the junk yard and got an 89+ bumper, ECU, ECU harness, Igniter, intercooler, Oil cooler and many NA->T swap parts for $210.

My problem is though that I have an 86.5 Supra. Is there a way to fit the Gray electronics to my 86.5?
Also is there a way to use my existing NA harness to mod the gray harness for it to plug in to the dashboard harness so my gauges work?
I know Ive seen my friends set up and his gauges dont work period because he did just that, installed gray electronics on his 87.

or would it be better to just sell ECU and harness and buy a yellow harness?\

I hope this makes sense to someone, Thanks.

It CAN be done, but not without some serious work. I wouldn't even try it. Sell the harness and ECU, and grab some from an '87-88 turbo. The ECU can be an auto if you can't find a manual, either will work.

If you grab what I mentioned above, all your gauges will work properly, except your tach. You need to either re-wire it, or get the tach electronics from a turbo Supra. It's way less work just to get what will fit, rather than try to modify what you have. ;)

Crazybobmundo

Mar 24, 2006
Nashua, NH
Sigh...

I just brought it to work today to inspect the harness and clean it with aircraft electrical parts cleaner (Good stuff) and the harness is in great shape other than a missing CPS extension, Transmission extension and some lone wire near the CPS. Thats one reason why I didnt want to hear "Sell it", I wont get much for it.

Thanks Shaeff for taking a look at my post and you too slidebabyslide.

And I got them so cheap!. Tears.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Bob- No problem. If you do a good job repairing the harness, you could likely sell it for around $80-$100. (as long as the repair job is good;))

With that money, you can find another harness that you could use pretty easily.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Y'know, depending on the '89 that you got the parts from...

My '89 was an early model, which plugged right into the engine harness from an '87T.

There were some issues with ABS and one with the ECU idle-up trigger for the headlights, but the vast majority of the stuff just worked, and the connecters were gray. The remaining issues weren't that bad.

That will ONLY apply though if the engine harness and ECU are from an early model '89. If it's a late model '89 the connection to the fuse box and instrument panel won't work at all.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Good condition harnesses go for $75-$100, ECU's usually go for the same.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a harness unless it was in awesome shape.

Crazybobmundo

Mar 24, 2006
Nashua, NH
dgj2812;965376 said:
is your gray plug ecu for auto or man?if its man. ive got a yellow plug man. ill trade you?

Its a 5 spd harness. It came off of (supposedly) a 1 owner supra. It was an old man that decided he wanted to junk it at 106k miles.

The harness is not immaculate it is old, some clips missing, but imo better than the harness in my 89. My 89 has brittle wires, its crap.

Ill trade, hell yeah. But Id feel more confident if you looked at it whenever I can get pictures cause I dont want problems when//if you get it and you dont like it. May I see yours?...ahem...the harness I mean.