Graphite head gasket good or bad

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jobsupra;1827786 said:
I have to rebuild my motor just curious about graphite head gasket r they good or bad

As far as I'm aware, the only two headgasket types made for the Supra are the standard composite facing steel core gasket, and the aftermarket multilayer metal head gasket. IMO, a graphite gasket would suffer the same failures as a stock composite gasket. If you're going to have the motor apart, have the deck & head surfaced and use a metal head gasket. ARP fasteners are reccomended and should be torqued to the spec provided by ARP and not the spec in the manual.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Backlash2032;1827973 said:
$90 for a factory gasket or $140 for a metal.. save $50 and you're there.

It's a bit more than that if it's done properly. Surfacing the head and block to the proper RA factor isn't exactly free.

Jobsupra, if you're on a limited budget, use a factory gasket, clean the head and block carefully, and just torque it to 75 ft/lbs. (Over the years we've determined that the factory torque spec is 20 to 30 ft/lbs too low).

Be sure to read the section of this post titled "Commentary on rod knock after a Head Gasket swap":

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?20486-Rod-Knock-Diagnosis-and-FAQ

It will save you a lot of grief.

djsilence813

Feb 4, 2012
Tampa,fl
metal headasket all the way its gonna cost more but your gonna save money in the long run im running the 1.3mm hks multi layer metal headgasket from titan motorsports i paid like 125 with shippin and everything if u get a grphite your gonna end up blowing it sooner or later also when/if ou do get it buy copper spray and coat the headgasket all over for reuse