grandfathers tools, wtf are they??(56k go make a sandwich)

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
thought some of you might like to see these and maybe even help me figure out what they are and how to use them.

Background: my grandfather was a tool and die maker at NASA for who knows how many years. the grandparents house is packed FULL of all kinds of tools, they are everywhere. Now my grandfather is in hospice(sp?) care, the doctor said weeks, not months. hopefully i'll be going to see him next weekend to say goodbye.
so as a part of all that alot of his things are comeing my way. some i know what they are and can put them to use, other things i have NFI and unless you guys can help me they will remain as keepsakes. so here come the pics:

first up is the smallest mic i've ever seen. reads metric

What would you use this for?

i know these are paralells but how do you use them?

lots of dial indicators. theres another but you get the idea.

what is this?

what is this?

this is an edge finder. how do you use it? i know there are some that "click" but this one does not.

i have more pics but that would be to much for one post. theres more mic's, a depth mic, small hole gauges, raidius gauges, rules, and some examples of the tooling my grandfather made.

thanks for looking, hopeing someone will know what this stuff is.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Those are all standard machine shop tools, they areold ones but I still use them all today. If you went to MSC.com or Starrett.com you could find newer versions of them all.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
First is an outside Mic, you would use it on very small parts I can't see what graduations it measures in but I would imagine it's pretty small.

Second is a Micrometer head, it looks like a blade type I can't see it clearly. It could have a custom ground offest blade tip for some reason.

Third the Parallel Set, you use this thin spring steel parallel set for machining applications with small, narrow components. Each pair has a height and parallelism tolerance of ±0.0001". It look like the set has one an Adjustable Parallel, Made of tool steel, these parallels adjust to the exact size you need so they'll replace many of your solid parallels. You use them for leveling and adjusting work when setting up milling and grinding machines, shapers, planers, and drill presses.

Fourth Dial Indicators and thier various tips.

Fifth, Wiggler/Center Finder Set, Determines tool spindle position in relation to work surface, layout lines, holes, and slots.

Sixth, Looks like a 1-2-3 Block, They help save time and simplify precision surface plate setups, layout, and inspection jobs. Blocks have single or multiple holes for mounting work on jig borers, grinders, drill presses, and milling machines.

Seventh, Edge Finder, In the link it gives a great visual explanation how they work.
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/edge/edgefind.html

Hope that helps

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
MDCmotorsports said:
Geezer has got it right....

Alot of those pictured are old school edge finders.

Don't ever let those tools out of your hands, and never into the hands of some one "borrowing them"

oh hell no. rest asshured these tools are under lock and key. theres some of the tools i can put to use like the micrometers, rules and whatnot. but the stranger more specalized things will just be for keepsakes.

i'd almost be tempted to put some of the dial indicators and micrometers into full time service at my job (www.soniclp.com) but they all meashure standard and my shop works in metric.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I'm just a jack of all trades master of many and in my line of work I've had to learn how to make stuff to get things going. Currently I work for a physicist doing R&D for uncle sam. So when the boss needs some gizmo made I make it so. It's fun and never the same so that keeps me interested without getting bored.