Gotta ask this once more (white smoke)

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Alright, I already asked this once before, but I've gotten so many different answers that I need to ask again and throw some "facts" I've gotten.

I have white smoke at start up, only in the mornings and after the car has been sitting for a little while (I would say about an hour)

The biggest answer I've got is valve stem seals, but don't those have blue smoke at start?

Second biggest is blown head gasket, but wouldn't the smoke persist after start up? And wouldn't my oil be Milky? (it isn't) and wouldn't I be going through coolant like mad? (I'm not)

My mechanic grandpa of thirty six years says blown head gasket, his mechanic son of like twenty years says valve stems

My brain hurts

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
LOL.
It's normal(depending on environmental conditions) to have a little white smoke(that evaporates) on startup when cold.
If you're not losing ANY coolant, you're probably fine. If you ARE losing coolant, do a block test and find out for SURE.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
supraguy@aol;1952003 said:
LOL.
It's normal(depending on environmental conditions) to have a little white smoke(that evaporates) on startup when cold.
If you're not losing ANY coolant, you're probably fine. If you ARE losing coolant, do a block test and find out for SURE.

PS- MFR looks like a pretty good-sized Class D airport, but being as I'm usually in a BE40, I rarely get out to the northwest areas, and when I do, its usually
SEA,CYVR, etc.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Kiraush;1951931 said:
but don't those have blue smoke at start?

Correct.

If the steam starts immediately, it's probably a BHG as the coolant is burning in the combustion chamber. If it takes 30 seconds or so to start, it's probably just condensation in the exhaust.