Got Wind Noise? Quick, Free Fix for Window Corner Seal

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I've had an annoying wind noise in my window corner ever since I got my car in 2007. I never got around to searching for the answer until this year - 7 years and 65k miles of driving after I bought my car.

I found a few comments on some other small Supra forums, but nobody had pictures and the instructions were a little vague. I would never have guessed the fix was so simple.

After reshaping my corner piece my wind noise was greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated. My corner seal is torn at the top and probably just needs replacement. That being said, this was an excellent fix considering it's free and takes 5-15 minutes of work with pliers and a rag.

Since the hotlink resizing is kinda hard to see go here for the full process:
http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/window_corner_seal.html

mk3_window_corner_1.jpg

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
That's actually pretty clever. The wind noise coming from that seal is one the first first things I noticed about my car on it's maiden voyage on the highway. I will have to try this when my auto is finished at the local paint booth.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Wow that is simple lol I always thought it was in between that black piece and the A frame weather stripping. Will be doing this tomorrow morning and post with results thanks man.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;2006918 said:
Wow that is simple lol I always thought it was in between that black piece and the A frame weather stripping. Will be doing this tomorrow morning and post with results thanks man.

Yeah, same here. I tried adding padding to the A pillar side with virtually no improvement.

AbsoluteSpeed;2006921 said:
Thank you for sharing this!

That seal has been bugging me for a while. I even asked the dealership and they said it was discontinued...
Ugh, I hope not. That looks like a tough part to "rebuild". Hopefully the dealer you asked was just a little lazy. I won't believe anything's discontinued until Jeff Lange says so, haha.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
suprarx7nut;2006926 said:
Ugh, I hope not. That looks like a tough part to "rebuild". Hopefully the dealer you asked was just a little lazy. I won't believe anything's discontinued until Jeff Lange says so, haha.

Pretty sure it was laziness or incompetence.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
suprarx7nut I freaking love you I crimped the whole piece with pliers and a rag I kept going up and down while crimping carefully and the gap lessened significantly and then took it out to the highway and went 80 mph with nothing the only sound I heard was a short wind noise from a gust of wind.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;2006980 said:
suprarx7nut I freaking love you I crimped the whole piece with pliers and a rag I kept going up and down while crimping carefully and the gap lessened significantly and then took it out to the highway and went 80 mph with nothing the only sound I heard was a short wind noise from a gust of wind.

Great! I'm glad it worked. When I discovered a few old threads about it a couple weeks ago I couldn't believe it wasn't a better known "fix". I've been all over these forums for 7 years and listening to that damn wind noise for 65,000+ miles and somehow I managed to never hear about this.

Hopefully this will serve to spread the word a little better.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
AbsoluteSpeed;2007335 said:
Done and works great. Going to wash the car tomorrow to see if it still leaks when hit with the pressure washer.
I had the same thought but still leaked for me it's coming from between the window and seal on the pillar.