Got offered $4500 take it in run ?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So I got offered $4500 cash for my car today. Just wanted to know if you guys think i should take it and start over.

My car is a 1989 Turbo Targa

Mods
Valve job was done about 8,000miles ago.
Ct26 60-1 (5,000miles)
Driftmotion intercooler kit
Tial 50mm knock off
Walbro 255 (2,500miles)
Oem clutch (5,000miles)
New kuhmo tires
EVO 8 560cc
Lexus Afm
Apexi power intake
Aeromotive AFPR
3inch full turbo back custom exhaust
Pioneer 7inch screen
Turbo smart boost gauge
Oil softline kit
AEM uego.
Apexi avcr
Aluminium radiator
Electric fans
Oem head gasket with arp headstuds (500miles)
Kyb gr2's with h&r springs.

Here are some photos.

p1856436_1.jpg

p1856436_2.jpg

p1856436_3.jpg

p1856436_4.jpg

p1856436_5.jpg

p1856436_6.jpg

p1856436_7.jpg

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Start Over? Ya got a sweet little tide going right there. The headache of a another build > $4,500. Unless of course you have your eyes on another MKIII or maybe wanting to get out of the game.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I personally would not do it. The only reasoning for selling and starting over for me would be to get a car that is already 2j swapped, but needs work. That way I would be doing everything over again, since I don't trust peoples work.
Besides that in my situation, I am going to keep my car, and stick with the 7m and build that up.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'm not looking to get out of the game. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with my car but i think ill stick in there after all I've gone through thus far.

If I would sell it I'd just buy another.

Clint Georges old car is for sale for $4500 lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo Habanero;1856482 said:
I'm not looking to get out of the game. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with my car but i think ill stick in there after all I've gone through thus far.

If I would sell it I'd just buy another.

Clint Georges old car is for sale for $4500 lol.
ANY Mk3 you buy is going to be OldNfucked... don't see any sense at all trading one pile of issues for another unless your car has terminal problems.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Nick M;1856492 said:
Your engine bay is dirty.
:-( lol i try really hard to keep my motor clean too.

IJ.;1856495 said:
ANY Mk3 you buy is going to be OldNfucked... don't see any sense at all trading one pile of issues for another unless your car has terminal problems.

Very true. One day I plan on switching shells because my car has a identity crisis when it comes to paint and a slight rust issue in the spare tire well. But in all due time.

The offer came up and wanted to know if it might have been worth taking

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1856500 said:
Based on the number of threads about problems you have (not to mention how much time you spend here) I'd unload that thing in a heartbeat if. Course, that makes you the dreaded PO but you wouldn't be the first.

I will admit that I do spend lots of my time if not all of my free time with my car or doing something that's oriented with the Supra.

I knew next to nothing about cars or using tools when I first started messing with this car and a lot of that has a number of things to do with why it took so long to get where I am. I do feel proud of what I've achieved with the help of Supramania.

I've learned that building a old car can kick you while your down :) or maybe I'm kicking myself and have not realized it yet.

I would hate to think I fall under the category of people who give these cars bad names or of a stupid owner.

For now I do not think I have it in me to let the car go and will keep trying to learn by trial and error. I truly am in love with this car.

I look at some of the masterpieces in my eyes that some of these guys have built and tell my self I will have built my car to that level on my own one day.

To tell you the truth I had no idea I'd be able to get my car where it is thus far when i first bought it.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd do it if the value is right in my head. As much as i love my supra if someone offer me the "right" price then I'd sell it and get another one. Of course if $4500 is the right price for you then go for it. If you think you can get more then wait. Or if you want a different shell cause all the headache that you're having then this is the right time since someone's willing to buy it for a pretty good price for a 7M.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you're going to stay with MK3's I'd stick with the one you've got. As IJ stated, they're all going to have their own problems at this stage in the game and knowing what your issues are is better than walking in to new potentially unknown problems.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1856500 said:
Based on the number of threads about problems you have (not to mention how much time you spend here) I'd unload that thing in a heartbeat if. Course, that makes you the dreaded PO but you wouldn't be the first.
I'm kinda with JJ on this one Jordan. If someone were to offer me $7000 right now, I'd probably sell my car. The only thing I would want to keep would be the radiator. That much cash would likely buy a nice vvti 2j and new suspension setup, and I've already got another shell, turbo, ecu, harness, etc...

However, like IJ said, you know your car, so... if it's a solid, accident free shell, I would probably say keep it. Especially if it's your first one.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
OK.....go back to post #1, and put a price of what you paid, or know you will have to pay to replace for each item. Add it all up, and subtract it from $4500. The amount left over is how much it would take you to start over and just get back to where you are now, without even buying that next Supra. Can you picture yourself in that car? Could you even find one that cheap, and how much more will it take to get it to looking like your car, with a motor you trust enough to add what you have on your car. I doubt you'd be happy in the end.