got it running!

j3pz

still learning
first id like to thank god, with out him the supras wouldnt be here to wrastle with.

so i bought a ecu from someone on the boards here and today i plugged it in. i had to jump start the battery but when i turned the key... omg nothing like that feeling, first hearing the motor fire up. so i reved it up, white smoke everywhere. its such a good feeling. so i took off the jumper cables and a few moments later the engines dies... battery wont keep a charge. i see 3 possibilities: bad alt fuse, bad alt, bad ground connection to battery.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Congratulations!!
I know the feeling...
there are a couple of other possibilities,
Take the alt and get it checked at a autozone to rule that our.
Sounds like you need a new battery.

But-
The white smoke, did it smell sweet? While your resolving the charging system, you may want to research the cause of the smoke.

Good luck, and again congrads-

j3pz

still learning
the smoke went away after i let off the throttle, then once i reved it up again it wasnt there. i reved up higher and more started to come out. i think its just from the engine sitting for the year ive had it plus whatever it was sitting from the people i got it from. only time and more reving will tell.

as for the charging, ya im gonna take the alt to autozone, and i dont think its the battery as its a new one. got it like 2 months ago. its just that its drained from turn the motor over so much.

thanks for the kind words also

j3pz

still learning
ok took the altnator to stealerzone, they tested it, and it was bad. luckily i saved the one from the original motor from the car and took it to autozone also to check. this one passed. i also bought a new alt fuse. woohoo! running car! now just need to unlock that brake so i can drive it!