Got a stubborn computer problem....any experts here?

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Ever since I've had this computer it has been doing this thing at startup that has stumped me since day 1. Basically when windows boots, it shows a message 'found new hardware, PCI Device', then it starts the 'Found New Hardware' Wizard. I have tried running the wizard but it never solves the problem.

Unless I'm missing something I don't have a PCI Device. My Video Card is PCI-E and everything else is on board. It's an ASUS mobo...I can't remember the model. It doesn't matter anyway as a search on google turns up lots of people with this problem.

I've tried going into the Device Manager and uninstalling it but it reinstalls every time I start windows. I've disabled it but it re-enables when windows starts. I've looked in the BIOS but can't find anything there.

I'm comfortable around computers. I work on them for friends and family on occation but I'm no expert. What am I missing here. This is driving me nuts!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It simplly means there's something on the PCI bus of the system that doesn't exist in the Windows Driver model.

Open up device manager, right click the device and go to the details tab.

In the device instance Id , is there a listing that looks like this?

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_017&SUBSYS_00011B13&REVA3\42903842830492

Or something similar that starts with PCI?

If you can post that up, I might be able to locate it for you. It's likely something that has a driver disc, I could even be components on your ASUS mobo if you didn't install the system specific stuff that came with it.

What model ASUS MB is it? It likely does matter.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Here's what I've got

p976273_1.jpg

The mother board is an Asus P5WD2-E Premium.

I didn't think the pic would be that small. LMK if you can't see it.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Well, I installed the Sata driver and did a restart. It recognized the driver on startup and the 'new hardware wizard' did it's thing. When it finished, I restarted again and I'm back to square one. This time, it showed the new driver again and the original error message 'unknown pci device'.

Not sure where to go from here.

Btw..thanks for all the help so far SC.

...update... When windows starts up the 'new hardware wizard' says unknown pci device. I let the wizard run and it recognizes and installs the driver (though I've already installed it). This is what is happening...

After the 'wizard' does it's thing at start up, the device manager shows this...

p976385_1.jpg

On restart..it goes back to this....'pci device'

p976385_2.jpg

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Gnolgnats on the Asus forums says:

"I read about the Marvell causing a similar issue where the drivers had to be installed after every reboot, make sure that you install the v1.0.0.3 drivers. This may solve your problem if you are using old Marvell drivers, or disable the Marvell in BIOS."

Unfortunately that isn't it as the driver's I gave you are the 1.0.0.3 drivers. :(

I'd suggest you go to the Asus site, download and install all the applicable drivers for that mobo, including the chipset drivers.

Are you using SATA on your system?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
De nada. If you aren't using it, just disable the device and it won't ask for drivers anymore.