Got a brake problem any ideas?

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Ok so I searched through the threads this one was close to what is wrong. But I just want to know if its my brake master cylinder or booster. So I drive for awhile and the brakes start to get soft then a little softer and then they go to the floor. There was no resolution in the thread that I found being it sounded more like they broke their bleeder valve and couldn't get fluid to the reaer brakes. Heres the thread,

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...e-problem...&highlight=loosing+brake+pressure

Anyways I'm not loosing any brake fluid, the master cylinder is full and I don't have any vacuum lines missing or off. I checked under the intake, the ones on the power steering pump, etc.. Any help or ideas would be great or if you think its the brake master cylinder or booster how do I check and make sure thanks again..

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
A booster problem would give a rock hard pedal. You can rule that out.

So what restores the firmness to the pedal?

ps don't drive the car until you figure this out.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Sounds like you need a new master cylinder. If your going to get one from a local parts store i would recommend "ASIN" brand. Its oem.

Likely not a booster problem, but might as well check it. Your going to have it half way off anyway.

To check booster, put a vacuum on booster with a handheld pump, and make sure it holds vacuum and does not bleed off.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Obviously driving the car would be stupid it started today when I went to get a drink. Doesn't help that I'm already pissed off the someone side swipped it last night and took out my mirror and scrped the side of the car all up in places and scratched my hood when the mirror went into low earth orbit.

Last edited:

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
What restores firmness to the pedal is just shutting the car off and then turning it back on. I think it because it all looses vacuum and the master cylinder reseals or returns to a somwhat normal state.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

I've only been driving the car for three days and I figured after sitting for three years not driving somthing would go haywire, thats why I havent took it very far just drove to work and back.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Car off pump the pedal 5>6 times to exhaust the brake booster

Hold firm pressure on the pedal and see if it creeps to the floor over time.

report back here.

"Pedal Height Retention Test"

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Crack the Master Cylinder nuts loose where it bolts up to the Booster and break the master loose and see if anything comes out.

The pedal height retention test you just performed indicates the seals are sad but not at the point where it's leaking badly yet.

Is this an ABS car?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Don't need to take it off just loosen the nuts and crack the gasket a bit, if it's wet inside you'll see it.
(have some water handy to flush any leaked fluids off the bay paint)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Don't know if you get much of a Choice, personally I went factory but if it ever needs replacing I'll get it sleeved in SS and put a kit through it that way it'll never rust/corrode again.