Goodbye to the Supra community.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well, it's been a fun 2 1/2 years here with the supra community, but I now have other, more important, priorities in my life. With all the "common" problems the MK3 supra has, I've never felt 100% sure about going long distances with my car for fear of something else going wrong (even though I've done a crap ton of maintenance...and yes "crap ton" is a scientific measurement:biglaugh: ). I replaced my car with a 94 Integra LS with less mileage than my supra, WAAAAY better gas mileage, and is perfect for how I live my life right now. It will never be capable of competing with my supra, but it's not meant to. Anyway, it's been a fun couple years, but I just can't devote my life to a car at this stage of the game. I'm a senior in Finance with a concentration in Economics at the University of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN), and I just won't have much time to play with a car that is so expensive. So, I guess, thanks for the memories and maybe I'll return in the future (with more $$$ :D)

BTW:

The buyer of my car is from Bridgeport, CT, so if any of you CT guys see a sivler 89 turbo with HID's, it was probably mine.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
:( sad to see you go, drake. it's really a shame that another mkiii member bites the dust... however, i do see where you're coming from. it's just too bad you couldnt store it or something. you had a nice car. hopefully we'll see you back here in the future, drake. good luck with your future endeavors.

-shaeff

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
another one bites the dust!!

sorry to see ya go drake.

Funny some people don't have that much confidence in their cars. I went from Rapid City, SD, to Miami, Fl. From Miami, Fl to twin Shitties, MN and it suffered numerous winters. No issues :)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Sad to see you go Drake, we'll miss you a crap ton :biglaugh: Good luck with your schooling.

I never had a doubt about driving my car long distances, I did it quite often actually. Never had a problem except when I killed the turbo, but it was already going and I was on my way home to fix it.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I'm always amazed to hear of people who worry about taking their Supras long distances. I've taken mine almost everywhere. Never had a problem. I've always thought of it as better then reliable. A couple of years ago, drove it 1800 miles from MN to OR 2 weeks after installing a new turbo/engine. Sometimes I'll use something else, but only to save some on gas (spring break to SanDiego).

Anyway, GL with school
Kevin

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I'm always amazed to hear of people who worry about taking their Supras long distances also. I have taken mine long distances inlcuding 3200 mile trip a couple of times and a few dozen 600 mile trips. My car is mostly highway driven.

I think if you have a different priority in your life you need to do what you need to do. Good luck with school. Come back with a badass Supra my friend.

Duane :)

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Duane, I'll definitely try to come back with something bad ass in the future, but to do that, I need to take care of my education first.

The reason I have never felt completely comfortable with the long trips is because I have only had BHG problems from a supra before. I was just waiting for something else to screw up and that's not the mentality I should have about my daily driver.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
goodbye Drake. you're not making a foolish mistake. a good education now = great car/lifestyle later on. just dont become one of those honda boys :icon_razz

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
souprat said:
goodbye Drake. you're not making a foolish mistake. a good education now = great car/lifestyle later on. just dont become one of those honda boys :icon_razz

Haha. I was a Honda boy before I even knew what a turbo was, but I know what I have.....a slow, great handling, economic vehicle. :D

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I remember when you were only entertaining the idea, but not it is a done deal.
DrakeMK3 said:
…With all the "common" problems the MK3 supra has, I've never felt 100% sure about going long distances with my car for fear of something else going wrong … but I just can't devote my life to a car at this stage of the game….
Man, I could argue with you about the MKIII being a reliable car.
DrakeMK3 said:
…WAAAAY better gas mileage….
And I can argue with you that the gas prices will probably drop in months to come.
DrakeMK3 said:
…I'm a senior in Finance with a concentration in Economics at the University of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)…
But I won’t argue with you at all because I know that you are now so busy that you don’t even have time to barely look at the car. I have been where you are so I know what it is like.
DrakeMK3 said:
…So, I guess, thanks for the memories and maybe I'll return in the future (with more $$$ :D)...
So I guess I will see you on AIM then :p heheh
I KNOW you aren’t saying later to that.

Not to hijack your thread, Drake, but I will be making a thread soon on the MKIII’s reliability or lack of. That topic is not for this thread. We discussed it on AIM and I want to continue it with the forum…well you just keep an eye open for that thread.

EDIT: just made the mentioned thread. Clicky below.
http://supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=62971#post62971

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Bye man, don't feel like I got to know you very well, and from other people's comments I think it's probably my loss. :(

Enjoy the new car, I'm sure you will, and feel free to stick around, even possibly get another Supra one day... :D

(PS: I did as you asked and removed your mod status... hope you enjoyed it while you had it, lol. :p)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I hate it for you, but you're making the right decision. I'll be in Know Vegas for the Ole Miss game. If you'de like to hook up during the pre game, drop me a PM.

Go Vols!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
NOOOOO, WHY, well, you still going to Post in the OT right?
your always welcome and you will never lose the knowledge you have about the MKIII.
we will miss you man.
until you get another MKIII
I salute you.