Good or bad Idea..

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Ok, i have HKS 272s for the 1JZGTE, Can i used them in my stock head,
I do have a single turbo, Walbro 255lph, MKIV 550cc, DM fuel pressure regulator, AEM ems & more supporting mods, I need experts to help me & not people that just read it somewhere... I do have a fully built head but thats for a Built motor for next year.. Good or bad idea to installed them now & get it tuned...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I used my Crower 272 small core cams in my 1jz for over a year with no problems at all. I've heard from others that had the large core that you need to upgrade the springs and retainers. I did upgrade this time once I went with the 2jz block, but I don't know that I had too. Again, I went over a year with stock springs and retainers. Good luck and hope this help'd a little.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
suprahero;1137691 said:
I used my Crower 272 small core cams in my 1jz for over a year with no problems at all. I've heard from others that had the large core that you need to upgrade the springs and retainers. I did upgrade this time once I went with the 2jz block, but I don't know that I had too. Again, I went over a year with stock springs and retainers. Good luck and hope this help'd a little.

Ummmm... The 272s small cores are supposted to be 264-268s aren't they??
Can someone please correct me if im wrong, I need help understandimng the crowers cams, Either i run my HKS 272S OR buy the crowers like Jay has...
I don't wanna upgrade spring on this head, I already have a built head for another block that im working for next year..

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You can pm Zazzn. He know more about the cams than I do, but I do remember someone saying that the small core cams were about the size of the 264's. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe you could sell the ones you have and buy a set from Eric. Good luck.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
yea, the 'small core' cams that zazzan had made are really 264 cams. They're pretty mild on the lift so the work with the stock springs no problems (I wouldn't go above 7600-7800 rpm though)

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
tissimo;1137948 said:
yea, the 'small core' cams that zazzan had made are really 264 cams. They're pretty mild on the lift so the work with the stock springs no problems (I wouldn't go above 7600-7800 rpm though)

OK, that's what i wanted to hear (read):biglaugh: thanks guys...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
suprahero;1137856 said:
You can pm Zazzn. He know more about the cams than I do, but I do remember someone saying that the small core cams were about the size of the 264's. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe you could sell the ones you have and buy a set from Eric. Good luck.

Naw i rather not sell, I do have a built 10k rpm head seating here in my garage that i'm saving for a built 1jz..