good old 50cent map clamp

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
So for those of us with out standalones. Have any of you tryd this map clamp trick to raise or eliminate your fuel cut on a 1j ..
Here is the link if you have not seen this http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_map.html

So I am contenplating on trying this and just controlling boost with the saftey features on my true boost. And controlling fuel with the afc. What are your thought and does it work? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't work. I already have the diaods in my garage and they keep telling me to put them in..(don't act like your parts don't talk to you either.)lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I wouldn't do it to my car... It's rarely a good idea to "trick" your fuel system. ;)

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
te72;1841371 said:
I wouldn't do it to my car... It's rarely a good idea to "trick" your fuel system. ;)
well i get that. and that is all the safc2, and a fcd does also. yeah the timing thing is the only thing that scares me to do this. and thier is a limit of how much boost you can make and still have it safe on the timing side

so you both say no, and i do agree with you. but what are other options for lifting fuel cut to a higher level?

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
All of the piggybacks that do not control timing (SAFC, MAFT without the mod, etc) are just as dangerous as the resistor mod (IMO).

Slight adjustments are okay, but if you're going for a huge change I would get a standalone or a piggyback that controls timing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Does the 2jz map sensor allow higher boost levels before the stock ecu will cut the fuel? I've never looked into it, mine allows up to ~17-18psi before hitting fuel cut, but I've never been in a hurry to kill my turbos, so I kept it around 12-15psi.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Albert;1841617 said:
Ohhhhh geez. Here comes another 1jz vs 2jz map sensor thread.

Answer is no
haha you beat me to it.. im not looking to running 30 psi or nothing crazy, but what about 18 -20. see i dont know where it will think its at as far as the timing goes = to boost level. i would think it would think it was at 14psi. cuz right now i hit cut at 14.7psi.
also would changing to a 2 or 3 bar fix this issue?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
ifyouaint1sturlast;1841572 said:
All of the piggybacks that do not control timing (SAFC, MAFT without the mod, etc) are just as dangerous as the resistor mod (IMO).

Slight adjustments are okay, but if you're going for a huge change I would get a standalone or a piggyback that controls timing.

this is just something i was wanting to learn more about. im planning to switching to a aem next winter.
i like to start learning threads. i get tired of the help me fix this help me fix that thread. although im also guilty of this

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Albert;1841617 said:

Answer is no
Thanks for correcting me sir, I've never needed to look into it since my car hits fuel cut right at the "you're gonna blow some twins" level...

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
so on the topic of changing the map sensor to a 3bar.. keep in mind boost levels will be round 18ish.. correct me if im wrong, but it would be safer to wire in a map clamp, than to change to a 3 bar? right. cuz on the timing side of things. with the clamp wired in it would be at pulling timing at a level of where it would make 14.5 psi vs the 3 bar making 18 psi it would think it was at somewhere around 9 or 10 psi due to the differance in voltage ..??? right???? i know the numbers may be wrong but i think the idea is correct?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Right .but that's not what I'm saying I know the stock ecu will not run 28psi. I just basing it on what the computer would do to the timing at a certing map voltage. Again just making numbers up but say at 14.5psi stock map makes 5v. That same boost on the 3 bar would be like 2.5v is that thought process correct

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Ask yourself one question, and be honest with yourself:

"is a few more HP worth the risk of blowing my engine?"

What happens when things don't work out like you "think" they should based on something you've read online? I'll give you a hint, it's not good. ;)

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Albert;1841617 said:

Answer is no
Yep, they're VERY similar. Found this info when I was looking for a replacement MAP sensor for my 1jz, ended up with a 2jz MAP sensor after seeing the similarity between the two.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/te...sor-pressure-vs-output-voltage-identical.html
p1842380_1.png

Pic from the link.

And as you can see, the map sensors read different voltages at different pressures. So a 3bar map would have a different reading at 2 bar, from what a 2 bar map would have at 2 bar.

Also, isnt this diode basically what a Fuel Cut Defender does? FCD's are basically adjustable signal clamps, right?

Last edited:

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
steven89;1842380 said:
Also, isnt this diode basically what a Fuel Cut Defender does? FCD's are basically adjustable signal clamps, right?

I read a long time ago before I put my home-made setup together that the Greddy BCC uses a clamping voltage (good), but others (possibly HKS FCD or other cheaper ones?) may actually scale voltage therefore changing the MAP output through the whole range(bad).

I had a Zener diode setup on my 1JZ, clamping somewhere around 4.3xV IIRC. Accomplishes the same thing as an $80+ used Greddy BCC but without the adjustability (Don't need it, you just want it as close to the boost cut voltage as possible. Though you can find an adjustable wiring schematic out there). Just make sure you wire it correctly and cleanly, I had mine right next to the MAP sensor itself. It is not a dangerous or crappy method as compared to a BCC, though it will save you a lot of money.