going r154

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
so i made up my mind and im keeping my 7mgte :icon_bigg, just going to get some work done and im going r154 on it. What do i need to get for the swap, Is this difficult? Fyi im doing this thourgh a shop so i want to get as much parts for them as i can.

thanx all

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
if going from auto to manual you'll need:

Gearbox + gear shifter
Bell-housing (R154 --> 7M obviously)
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch lines (one is hard, one is soft, or you can just get a custom one piece braided line)
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Manual tail-shaft (factory or custom one piece)
Manual clutch and brake pedals (or you can cut the auto brake pedal down but this is messy IMO)
Manual dash cluster (not essential but completes the swap)
Manual speedo cable (just the short section is different from auto)
Manual gear shift surround + shift boot and gearknob (not essential but completes the swap)
An appropriate diff ratio for your driving needs (auto and manual utilise slightly different diff ratios from the factory)
Gearbox oil (I recommend Redline shockproof or Castrol VMX 80 if you cant budget for the Redline)

Its also a good idea to change the shifter bush and the shifter socket out with new items from Toyota - these arent expensive (under 20 dollars for both parts) but id recommend the Maurlin (sp?) equivalents from Driftmotion as they are heavier duty and cost roughly the same, you'll end up with a better shift feel.

If you really want piece of mind, you can replace the first gear thrust washer with a chromoly item as this is prone to failure with R154s (again I believe Maurlin (sp?) do one of these) and have all the transmission seals replaced so there are no leaks.

I'd also recommend changing the rear main engine seal whilst you have access to the rear of the motor.

I think that about covers everything.

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
It would help if we knew what trans you're running now...

From na5spd you'll just need a driftmotion clutch hose <----for simplicity

r154 slave cylinder

turbo flywheey/clutch

turbo r154 drive shaft

turbo r154 short section of the speedo cable as the long sections are all the same

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
gaboonviper85;1476100 said:
It would help if we knew what trans you're running now...

From na5spd you'll just need a driftmotion clutch hose <----for simplicity

r154 slave cylinder

turbo flywheey/clutch

turbo r154 drive shaft

turbo r154 short section of the speedo cable as the long sections are all the same

Its the 7mgte automatic transmission, sorry i dont know the name of it.

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
spiller;1476091 said:
if going from auto to manual you'll need:

Gearbox + gear shifter
Bell-housing (R154 --> 7M obviously)
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch lines (one is hard, one is soft, or you can just get a custom one piece braided line)
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Manual tail-shaft (factory or custom one piece)
Manual clutch and brake pedals (or you can cut the auto brake pedal down but this is messy IMO)
Manual dash cluster (not essential but completes the swap)
Manual speedo cable (just the short section is different from auto)
Manual gear shift surround + shift boot and gearknob (not essential but completes the swap)
An appropriate diff ratio for your driving needs (auto and manual utilise slightly different diff ratios from the factory)
Gearbox oil (I recommend Redline shockproof or Castrol VMX 80 if you cant budget for the Redline)

Its also a good idea to change the shifter bush and the shifter socket out with new items from Toyota - these arent expensive (under 20 dollars for both parts) but id recommend the Maurlin (sp?) equivalents from Driftmotion as they are heavier duty and cost roughly the same, you'll end up with a better shift feel.

If you really want piece of mind, you can replace the first gear thrust washer with a chromoly item as this is prone to failure with R154s (again I believe Maurlin (sp?) do one of these) and have all the transmission seals replaced so there are no leaks.

I'd also recommend changing the rear main engine seal whilst you have access to the rear of the motor.

I think that about covers everything.

would any N/a supra parts fit. There is like 3 supras with the w58 i belive, at the local junkyard

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
supraboymk3;1476124 said:
would any N/a supra parts fit. There is like 3 supras with the w58 i belive, at the local junkyard

Most of it yes...

Clutch pedal
brake pedal
master cylinder
shifter
shift boots
Radio trim
Etc
the rest needs to be turbo 5 spd specific

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
so i went today and got a few parts of a n/a 1987, 5 speed and was wondering if im going to be able to use all these. Now i do know that the clutch master cylinder, and the clutch and brake pedals should be usable. I also got the brake line and slave cylinder of the n/a. im i going to be ok with this parts or dos it need to be off a r154

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
i also went and looked at a r154 transmission, they want $350 for it, 30 day warranty. It seems like an ok price, the only thing i didnt like about the whole thing is that still need to find the mount since the transmission they showed me has no mount and no slave cylinder. Can i use a mount of my auto or off an w58?
thanx all

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
Zumtizzle;1476790 said:
Buy my Driveline. ;)

It's cheap. :naughty:

And Driftmotion sells the slave for pretty cheap.

sounds like a good price i just wana focus on the transmission and slave cylinder and everything else. do you have pics? love to see what it looks like and would like to know if i need something for it or would it bolt right on?

MrClean

Jul 10, 2008
Chicagoland
supraboymk3;1476669 said:
i also went and looked at a r154 transmission, they want $350 for it, 30 day warranty. It seems like an ok price, the only thing i didnt like about the whole thing is that still need to find the mount since the transmission they showed me has no mount and no slave cylinder. Can i use a mount of my auto or off an w58?
thanx all

When in doubt....CUSTOM FABRICATE!!! :-D

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
so can i use my old mount to hold the tramsmission or dose it need to be off a r154?? or can i use a w58 trany mount? I dont know if you guys call it something else but the mount or bridge that holds the transmission in place at almost the very end of the trany.

thanx guys

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
I didn't see anyone mention him needing the clutch release hub & washers/clamps, pilot/throwout bearing, and clutch fork.

31231-14040 Hub, clutch release
90201-71001 Washer, plate
90206-72001 Washer, wave
90520-67001 Ring, shaft snap
31264-14040 Spring, clutch
90201-45023 Washer, plate
31470-14050 Cylinder assy, clutch
96152-00450 Ring, snap

Attachments

• clutch diag.JPG
    clutch diag.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 59

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
supraboymk3;1477041 said:
so can i use my old mount to hold the tramsmission or dose it need to be off a r154?? or can i use a w58 trany mount? I dont know if you guys call it something else but the mount or bridge that holds the transmission in place at almost the very end of the trany.

thanx guys

since no one else will seem to directly anwser you i beleave you need the R154 Mount you can get it here

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-r154transmissionmountformk3supra.php

Just to be clear for you if you go to the link below you will see 2 things (Rear Mount) witch needs to be transmission specific and Rear Cross Member witch does not. Hope i was able to help.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=AT&P=43

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
kneedragger85;1477328 said:
I didn't see anyone mention him needing the clutch release hub & washers/clamps, pilot/throwout bearing, and clutch fork.

31231-14040 Hub, clutch release
90201-71001 Washer, plate
90206-72001 Washer, wave
90520-67001 Ring, shaft snap
31264-14040 Spring, clutch
90201-45023 Washer, plate
31470-14050 Cylinder assy, clutch
96152-00450 Ring, snap

thanx for the help. Do you know where i could find these parts?

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
Turbo Habanero;1477365 said:
since no one else will seem to directly anwser you i beleave you need the R154 Mount you can get it here

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-r154transmissionmountformk3supra.php

Just to be clear for you if you go to the link below you will see 2 things (Rear Mount) witch needs to be transmission specific and Rear Cross Member witch does not. Hope i was able to help.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=AT&P=43

thanx for the help i see what your talking about. it looks like what i meant to say was that its got the rear mount but not the cross member. so i guess i can use my old cross member then