god i hate my elbow!!!

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
Any one have any ideas on how to get a stuck turbo elbow off the turbo? i have soaked the bitch in pb,wd-40,and misc and still no luck. I am afraid to put an air chisal on it becaust it might crack it.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
What is wrong with the bolts? Stripped or rust. If rust then heat the bolt red hot with a torch (not enough that you get distortion or puddling of metal) then immediatly try to loosen the nut. Should come right off. What you are doing is expanding the metal and making the nut grow. This pulls the threads away from the stud and it will turn off really easy.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
:nuts:

These guys are a lot of help, huh??

:thefinger

At least Rich is tryin' to help ...

but I'm willing to bet he's figured out the whole bolt thing :biglaugh: :x:

I think the first suggestion is your best bet - BFH ... a rubber one.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Provided the bolts were all out, I didn't feel the need to stress that fact, the question was answered.

therefore the thread was free range. :D

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
suprarich said:
What is wrong with the bolts? Stripped or rust. If rust then heat the bolt red hot with a torch (not enough that you get distortion or puddling of metal) then immediatly try to loosen the nut. Should come right off. What you are doing is expanding the metal and making the nut grow. This pulls the threads away from the stud and it will turn off really easy.

THats exactly what worked for me on my exhaust manifold!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Well if the bolts are all off then the gasket is just rusted to both the turbo and the elbow. Like everyone is saying, just smack it with a dead blow hammer or a piece of wood in diffrent places untill it comes off.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yaitsme said:
Ooooh ... onea those 'free-range' threads - I see :rolleyes:
What's the problem? I'll stay away from this thread if that's what appeases you. PM me if you wish, but I will not conduct any more posting in this thread.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Know what worked for me? (just did this today) Grab a straight pry bar and a rubber mallet. Wedge the pry bar between the elbow and the turbo...Smack. Done.

EDIT: oh "YaIt'sMe" leave my man Kurt alone. I'm the Don and he's Mafia Member #001. Capiche?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Are you taking that bitch of, and adding something that will flow??????

I say NO to the prybar between the elbow and the turbo. Three things could happen if you did that.............

Best case..........it seperates

Next Best Case........the Elbow will be damaged

Worst Case...............the Turbo will see damage

1 out of 3 is good for baseball players only!

Break the downpipe loose as well to take away that support, and give it more chance to move. You may want to hammer from underneath the car, striking the bottom most part you can. This would give you a little more leverage than just striking downward from the top.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra90turbo said:
Provided the bolts were all out, I didn't feel the need to stress that fact, the question was answered.

therefore the thread was free range. :D

There are 3 kinds of thread derailing, 2 are useful one isn't.

Derail 1, a thread has served its usefulness eg question answered thread dead, now moves on to some light entertainment, not really anything wrong with that, these forums are as much about community as they are info.

Derail 2, a topic is becoming heated and likely to go nowhere but down, is suddenly derailed and goes from the beginnings of a flame war to an entertaining thread. Again not a big problem, fun threads are better than flame wars any day of the week. However

Derail 3 a topic is valuable and full of info and is being conducted respectfully, derailing this thread serves no usefull purpose and stops the thread serving the useful purpose that it was happily serving.

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
suprarich said:

just did this today, worked just fine for me, try it, we also use to use 2 parts diesel to 1 part motor oil, gets into cracks, and whatnot better. try the mixture first, then try the heat...

later
justin