glowing exhaust manifold

brokeassmk3

here for the lulz
Jul 29, 2007
San Diego, CA
kasted.com
so last night i was doing some speed runs in the supra

and i headed back to buddies pad and popped the hood (we were planning on cooking some food on my engine lol)

and i noticed my exhaust manifold was glowing bright orange

keep in mind, my car is completely stock except a cone air filter

my friends were impressed, but i am curious, is that bad???

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That's normal, especially if you've got the stock turbo elbow, cats, and exhaust. Get a full flowing 3" turbo back exhaust and it will be less likely to do that.

Back pressure FTL... to some extent anyways ;).

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
^ word, also a clogged cat can do the same thing, no bueno, my brothers' oldmobile cat clogged up on him, car ran like crap(he didnt care, free car) He drove it like that for a couple weeks, eventually blew the headgasket(quad 4cyl). It wasnt fun but you will know when you have a clogged cat, it will run like absolute crap, want to die, have no power, etc... so no worries, its probably pretty normal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
letting the car cool down properly after hard running helps a lot...

I drive mine hard, and never seen my glow even when it was stock...

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
2 cats on a stock config - the one in the downpipe is the first to clog. Do yourself a favor and get a downpipe or gut it.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i have had similiar experience in the past. when i had a cat on the car i had higher backpressure and a cherry red manifold from time to time, same with my exhaust housing. no cat and a different setup and now no more glowing. i have heard that timing can effect this also.