Glove Box (Standalone Owners only please)

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
I'm trying to figure out a way to run my DB9 serial cable from my AEM EMS to my custom glove box plate but not sure how to connect my gender changer to the plate. I was thinking of drilling two tiny little pilot holes on the plate and screwing it in, but I don't know how it will look? How should I cut the hole for the gender changer?

Has anyone done something like this? Have Pic's? Some of you guys must've done something to get the cable off the floor (so ghetto) of the passenger side. Thanks

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I just tucked my cable up under the dash undercover peice on the pass side. Was easy to pull out when needed and tuck back up without issues.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
tissimo;1126612 said:
I just tucked my cable up under the dash undercover peice on the pass side. Was easy to pull out when needed and tuck back up without issues.

I'm doing the same right now, but I like the idea of having a serial port mounted somewhere hidden yet easily accessible.

Has anyone else had difficulty placing the AEM standalone in the factory ECM location without interfering with the glove box opening and closing? Mine will open and close, but it is stiff due to the back - top edge of the glove box rubbing the glove box upper liner. I assume the fix is to shave off some material from the glove box?

Thanks,

Brad

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
heh i did the same...got a long serial cable and ran it under the center console and under the seat.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i'm not using the glove box liner with my aem car.kinda suck's that you can see the ecu with the glove box open,but the glove box open's and close's.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I mounted my AEM in the glovebox and keep the cable beside it. How the hell did you guys fit your AEM unit in the stock location and did you have to cut the glovebox?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
The ECU would be fine behind the glove box btt as far as the cable, I have a custom CNC port that sits in the lumbar location. I anodized it black and etched the MoTeC in it. It is invisible when unplugged and looks OEM.

Duane

motec_port.jpg

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
Woody1989;1126922 said:
I'm doing the same right now, but I like the idea of having a serial port mounted somewhere hidden yet easily accessible.

Has anyone else had difficulty placing the AEM standalone in the factory ECM location without interfering with the glove box opening and closing? Mine will open and close, but it is stiff due to the back - top edge of the glove box rubbing the glove box upper liner. I assume the fix is to shave off some material from the glove box?

Thanks,

Brad

I cut the top back of mine with the snippers enough to where it won't rub

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I run an extension cable from mine to down beside the passanger seat.

This way I can throw the Laptop on the back seat when it's not in use.
(rare these days as it has the SatNav software installed.)

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
upgradedsupra;1126959 said:
The ECU would be fine behind the glove box btt as far as the cable, I have a custom CNC port that sits in the lumbar location. I anodized it black and etched the MoTeC in it. It is invisible when unplugged and looks OEM.

Duane

motec_port.jpg

how much would you charge to make me up one of those Duane? :love:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
SD2JZA70;1127050 said:
how much would you charge to make me up one of those Duane? :love:
That is a great location for the port in a space that is blocked off and unused
in my interior. How did you design the opening and closing feature for the
port cover? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Boosted Supra;1127296 said:
I guess I'm the only one putting it in the glove box huh. I figure since I have to drop the box to adjust boost settings, why not add it next to it? Thanks guys

Duane, very cool place and nice custom work.

Thanks, I think with some different ideas, you will choose a good location for it. :)

figgie;1127316 said:
Duane

Top notch machine work as always ;)

Though I am surprised you did not find a way to make it a complete face plate instead of the edge cut outs.

Thanks guys.

In the edge cut out is a lock to keep the adapter from coming out. ;) I need to push inside that cut out and push a button in order to release the MoTeC adapter. :icon_bigg No worries of it popping out while driving hard and wanting to data log everything. :icon_bigg

PS: Figgie, your number doesn't work anymore, you change it?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
upgradedsupra;1127348 said:
Thanks, I think with some different ideas, you will choose a good locatio for it. :)

Thanks guys.

In the edge cut out is a lock to keep the adapter from coming out. ;) I need to push inside that cut out and push a button in order to release the MoTeC adapter. :icon_bigg No worries of it popping out while driving hard and wanting to data log everything. :icon_bigg

Ahhhh that is right! I Forgot that is it an audio connector that MoTeC uses for the CAN connector.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I just dropped by to look at Manny's avatar......... again, and again, and again...........:love: