gimme a break.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
shoulda finished up the brakes today, but as usual, something didnt go right.

to begin with, i replaced the master cylinder. after that, i got the two rear brakes done (porterfield lines and pads, with brembo rotors). they went on without a hitch.

got to the fronts, completed the passenger side fairly easily. went to the driver side and started running into problems.

my biggest: rotor/hub wont turn when completely assembled. the caliper was a beast to get down in the first place. id tried compressing the piston with a c-clamp, had all the pressure relieved. even blew the piston out of the caliper and checked for damage inside, but everything was fine. it almost seems as if the porterfield pads are a tad thick (couldnt be more than a mm or two) but just enough to securely hold the rotor after its all together. might the rotor be a little big?

so my questions:

how can i fix this?
can i simply drive on it a little til the pads get worn down and itll turn freely, or is that just retarded thinking?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
joke, or real. i was wondering about that...didnt really wanna take that leap til it was confirmed

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
everything else went in silky smooth.

just gotta make sure ive got the pads flat against the sander, correct?

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
if you don't have a micrometer or caliper to measure pads and rotors, why don't you try to swap the PS pads, and rotor to DS and see if it turns?
if the rotor or pads were made wrong get them replaced. you could have a bent caliper mounting bracket.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
nah
put antiseize on all of em. i swapped a pad from the pax side, that gave it a little more clearance but still need about a mm

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
one appears just a tad thicker than the others
sanding time?
and how the hell do i get my shims to stay on the pads? orange disc quiet from crc?

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
If you do belt sand them... just make sure you get it level and straight... If it was me, i would take them to a machine shop to ensure they are perfectly flat... you dont want to score your brand new rotors

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
:hands clip a kit kat bar:

i'd return them, or beltsand them while holding them in a vice.

-shaeff