Getting the primer off my hood

88supraFAST1

7M WHAT
Feb 8, 2006
Battle Ground, Wa
Ok so about two years ago i painted my hood primer black with nothing wrong with the factory paint but my dumb ass thought it would be cool to do. How i hate it and was wondering if any one knew a way to get it off with out hurting the paint on the underside. there is about two light layers of paint on there. i was thinking maybe just buff it out but that could take a really long time. or taking some really really fine wet/dry sand paper and sanding it off then buffing it? i don't know for sure though.
copyofjeremyscamera1373pf1.jpg

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
yea not the easiest task, but if u must give it a shot, carefully wet sand it with say 400-600 grit and as long as u dont sand through the factory basecoat u can get it recleared and itll look good as new

chances are tho ull probly burn through but give it a shot and worst case scenario u spray it black again

Edit: oh and if u didnt sand the factory paint for prep that spray paint may come off fairly easy

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I went through a similar problem with my Celica:

car when I got it:

Celica&

Car after a few hours of sanding:

No%20more%20spraypaint.JPG

I used 220grit in my electric sander, put the hose on the hood, with a little trickle to keep the surface wet. Went fairly quickly actually. After the 220, you could spray down some new clearcoat, and work your way up to 1000 grit or so, then polish.

88supraFAST1

7M WHAT
Feb 8, 2006
Battle Ground, Wa
This is after one pass with the buffer and a little bit of polishing compound. Im thinking i might put a light coat of clear on it to fill the slight scratches then buff it again???

dscf0035aw2.jpg

In this one you can really see the scratches after i buffed it. Dont mind the pits in there. damn rocks.

dscf0036gg1.jpg

KJSupra

Feb 10, 2008
So.CA
Maybe you should've just kept the black paint and clear coat that instead. Glossy black is probably better than the flat black look. Good luck on restoring the paint. : )

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
88supraFAST1;1018443 said:
This is after one pass with the buffer and a little bit of polishing compound. Im thinking i might put a light coat of clear on it to fill the slight scratches then buff it again???
honestly if your gona bother throwing clear on their you should just repaint the the whole car it looks like you work at some kinda shop im sure you could work out a deal with someone