Getting my 75 celica a motor.

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Hey guys, been a while. SOOOO I'm coming back to the states for new years, up to like mid january, and within that time frame, i want to get my celica running. I sold the 18RG i swapped in it a long time ago to pay off some retarded bills of mine :( so now i'm just trying to get a motor to where it will just run :) and be drivable for my leave i'm planning on taking :D. Miss that car sooo I am getting a regular 20R for it.

The guy I might buy it from is asking $250, which isn't tooo bad because he says it has everything and its a running motor. He told me he will do a compression test right in front of me, and hear it run as well. But thing is... I'm stationed in Japan, and well the engine is in california DERRRRR... but my bestest friends in california are going to hook me up and pick it up for me as long as i pay them the money to get the motor with. SOOO guys, what I wanted to know is... How long do you think it will take me and my buddies to get it running. I'm hoping a day or two if i pull an all nighter. But then again, shit does happen.

Ps... when i get stationed back into the states, i'm going to put a different motor in the celica, since i will be closer to it and have more time to spend with it. the 20r is just for me wanting to drive it around again :D. THANKS FELLAZ.. I Miss my supra :(

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
if a 20r motor is a direct fit, then you shouldn't have too much to deal with. As long as the monunts and tranny bolts in, everything else should plug pretty quick.

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
HEY MOE! been a while. Yeah I made a deal with my buddy back in the states. since I helped all of them when I was there, with their motors n stuff... they said they will pick up my celica, and even drop the motor as long as i pay for the motor :). i kinda wanna be there to put it in, but then again... 3 weeks leave back in the states... don't wanna spend to much of it workin on the car...

Yeah I figred direct drop, the 22r i put into it didn't work. but you get what you pay for i'd assume. kuz i paid like $50 for it...

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
So is there any other Toyota motors that will bolt right in to an older Celica? I know 20r and the 22r/r-e/r-et motors will drop in. Apparently there's a few others, one of which I know is a turbo diesel. I am curious because I own an '81 Celica GT and I'd like to swap the 22r with something that has more grunt.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Bring a 1GGTE over with you from Japan. Seems to be a very popular swap for the ozzies into old Celicas.

On a semi related note, would a 7MGE be suitable for an older Celica?

Last edited:

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Yeah, I put in an 18RG but then i sold the motor for some $$$. Then I put the 22r that hates me and doesnt want to start for me, but I got what I paid for. But the 20R is cheap and since i'm only going to be on leave for like 21 days, I only want to spend 2 days total on putting in the motor and getting it started. I told my friends they can put it in if they want, it will make it easier on me to try to get it started if they can't.

Spilling the beans: the motor i am going with after i get stationed back state side is going to be a 1jzgte. I'm saving up to buy a front clip, another mk3 supra, and i'm going to gut out the suspension from the supra into my celica. Instead of me buying a new car, I plan to just buy a beater civic or something to get me to work and back, and drop all my Air Force Pay into my celica HAHAHAHAHA. But thats in march of 2010. By then I should have some $$ for it.

When i come home for leave, anyone in Norcal or even socal willing to drive to nor cal wanna help gang bang on my celica :D. If not its cool I see how it is...

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
its too bad you couldnt find another 18r. however a 1jz will be much more fun :] good luck with the project whenever you get home.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
my 78 celica with the 20r i think it just blew a head gasket. other then that i like the 20r set up, just dont care for the stock carb, and all the vac lines. why is the 18r so hard to find?

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
I think its because when you do find one, its a shitty non working one and no one wants to take the time to work on it. I had 2 18RG motors, and the one that I had in the celica was the one I had to piece together. And then I sold it for some BLING BLING after driving it around for like 7 months :D. but I'd say its hard because people screw them up and junk it... :( or the guys who really love the 18RG take ALL OF THEM FOR THEMSELVS AND DONT SHARE!! like the dude who bought mine. :)