Getting Back Into the Supra Game.

Stupid or Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
In contrast to the other thread here, I've decided that, in the spring and summer when I can hold a full time job, I plan on saving up and buying another Supra. It will be my "fun" car, and my summer/fall DD when it's running properly. I have my Jeep for when it isn't.

Why am I doing this? Simply put, I miss the MK3 chassis. I loved the feel of my NA, but there were problems. Firstly, it was an NA. I really regretted not saving up more of my money to get a turbo car. Secondly, the one I bought simply wasn't maintained, which was there was problems with it constantly. Thirdly, I didn't have a secondary vehicle nor a job to support myself with in case the Supra broke down.

So, if, in the summer, I can justify the purchase, I will get a (hopefully) well-maintained 1JZ swapped 89-92. I plan on spending significantly more money to buy a better example this time around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I stupid for planning on spending more money on another MK3?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Lol Ian...

Anyway if a mk3 is truly what you want and will make you happy go for it and don't let anything stop you

As the saying goes you get what you pay for.

When going to buy the vehicle look at every detail and ask tons of questions don't jump on the first one you see. If the seller doesn't like it then fuck em and go spend your money else where

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
My vote is on stupid, but justified stupid. Seems like you have your bases covered (reliable DD, budgeting), so you'll have my blessing here. I've been driving my car daily for over 3 years now. Getting the itch to get into something different, but I also have a Mk2 that I don't drive enough that is different enough, so... my own fault.

Long as you don't put yourself in a bad position or debt to buy one, knock yourself out. :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
try and find a clean shell... preferably a turbo 5 speed... personally I would get a 7mgte, but that's just me... they're usually pretty dang cheap, can be a PITA if they were abused/poorly maintained (like anything else) but all in all, they're pretty much rock solid as long as you have good seals/proper torque on the head... (and don't tune it like a complete moron) all I'm saying is you need to take a lot of things into consideration when you modify performance aspects...

first things first though.... get a damn job, then worry about your plans.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
89jdm7m;1911635 said:
try and find a clean shell... preferably a turbo 5 speed... personally I would get a 7mgte, but that's just me... they're usually pretty dang cheap, can be a PITA if they were abused/poorly maintained (like anything else) but all in all, they're pretty much rock solid as long as you have good seals/proper torque on the head... (and don't tune it like a complete moron) all I'm saying is you need to take a lot of things into consideration when you modify performance aspects...

first things first though.... get a damn job, then worry about your plans.

If I'm going for performance, it's going to be a JZ swapped car. The 7m isn't a bad engine, but I just don't have to deal with all of its potential issues. I'll pay a premium for a JZ car that was built correctly.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
te72;1911619 said:
My vote is on stupid, but justified stupid. Seems like you have your bases covered (reliable DD, budgeting), so you'll have my blessing here. I've been driving my car daily for over 3 years now. Getting the itch to get into something different, but I also have a Mk2 that I don't drive enough that is different enough, so... my own fault.

Long as you don't put yourself in a bad position or debt to buy one, knock yourself out. :)

Putting myself in debt for a 21-25 year old car would make me an even bigger fucking idiot.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LunaVyohr;1911736 said:
Putting myself in debt for a 21-25 year old car would make me an even bigger fucking idiot.
I'm guilty of that. Finally, in 2013, I'm getting OUT of that debt, and doing my best to save up cash to buy my next toy. :)