Getting a more powerful spark

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Why do you want one? You're stock right? You're aware the secondary will rise to whatever voltage is needed to fire the plug? And that on a stock system we're talking about 50 KV? And that ionization is a function of mixture?

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
jetjock;1089790 said:
Why do you want one? You're stock right? You're aware the secondary will rise to whatever voltage is needed to fire the plug? And that on a stock system we're talking about 50 KV? And that ionization is a function of mixture?

Are guys runing lots of boost (20+ lbs) using stock coils?

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
teebone;1089803 said:
Are guys runing lots of boost (20+ lbs) using stock coils?

yes

like most crap myths that perpetuate the internet on the MKIII Supra.

The MKIII stock coil packs are extremly stout and as JJ stated, very powerful. You won't find many coils that will do 50kv, not even the aftermarket stuff. Most of those are rated at 45kv tops (ie when needed).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Appears the answers to my questions were no ;)

Crap myths indeed. There is so much BS about ignition components I rarely get involved in discussions of it. The stuff is right up there with oil when it comes to people not having a clue about how it really works, many so-called professional mechanics among them.

Fwiw assuming a healthy engine with correct plug gaps and mixture I don't ever recall seeing a firing line of more than 25 KV on my scope when testing one of these engines. Even under boost. Typical is 15-17.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
gofastgeorge;1089814 said:
The JZX100 1JZ coils are popular.
Three coils like stock, but the coils sit right on the plugs.
See post:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39059

These coils are from the 2JZGE VVti engine. If I recall correctly, the 1JZ has 6 coils, but different ones than the link you are referring to.

Also, Teebone, the COP conversion mentioned in the link above which I'm also running in my car is done for a cleaner look and spark plugs changing convenience, not for performance gain. The IS300 turbo guys do put down big number with them, but when they go for the 550-600+ rwhp range, they add a CDI to these coils, then the sky is the limit. Stock 7M coils are very strong.