General brake question (honda)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
So I have a friend with a older integra, he was having some problems with his brakes, he took it somewhere for a free brake inspection, and they said nothing was wrong so after I talked to him I had him bring it over

Air was definitely in the lines, there was lots of nasty red brown gross brake fluid, I did a full flush and bleed on all 4 calipers, replaced the fluid in the entire system. His brakes felt great after this, infact he thought the problem was fixed for about 3 weeks, but they're getting spongy again, I didn't find any leaks, and he's been looking for any drips where he parks but nothing.

So I'm pretty sure it must be a seal in the master cylinder, or brake booster? Probably the master cylinder, right? How do I diagnose this before we start throwing parts at it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
master, or look for a bad cap on the master.

if air (with moisture) is able to get into the system, the moisture gets into the fluid and eats the lines from the inside out...

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'd say it is the master cylinder. I had a civic one time and when you would be at a stop light, the pedal would just go to the floor. Then the car would pretty much lose brake pressure. So, I replace that and bled it real good and it was fine after that.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Alright, nice to see that you guys agree with what I was thinking, so I'll have him replace the master cylinder :)

AF1JZ, that sounds like exactly what he was explaining before he brought it to me!

Thanks guys, I now have alot more confidence that the master cylinder is the culprit

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
is the peadal getting spongy while driving or all the time?brake fluid is hydroscoping and even if it gets the slightest amount of water in it (1-3%) its boiling point drops like 150 degrees

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I had a 91 accord with the same problem. Though i didn't leak any noticable fluid. There was a very small, nearly invisible gleaming trail of brake fluid going down the firewall inside the car.

Replaced it and it was fixed for good.