GE to GTE swap, no spark, no fuel, TONS of info.. UPDATE

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
First off... I've been RTFMing for hours.. lol Ok, background.

Was:
1989 GE 5 Speed
(mfg 7/89)
Gray plug ecu
w58 transmission..

Swapped in:
1990 Supra 7mGTE motor
same car (1990) ecu, wiring harness
also same car (1990), R154 transmission.

Storyline:
Completed the swap of motor and transmission...

GTE parts used:
Wiring harness, ECU (obviously)
r154 slave and everything it needed for the tranny to be right
GTE Ignitor
GTE Injectors/Fuel Rail
GTE boost pressure solenoid
GTE injector resistor box (by driver's side strut tower, round plug)
GTE power steering reservoir
turbo gauge cluster (for the tach to work)

Issues during swap:

Couldn't find anything that plugged into these..

185.jpg

184.jpg

the B1 (inside the car, by the ecu) plug on the harness I was putting into the car did NOT match up, plugs were different. So i looked through pinouts, and checked the plug on the body side of the car to match up colors.. I repinned the whole connector with the exception of this..

206.jpg

205.jpg

but all the colors seemed to match up pretty well except for the ones in the post above... (Black with a blue line, and a teal with a red line FROM the engine harness) and I believe a red with a yellow stripe from the car..

Anyway.. I tried cranking the car over and it just turned over and over..

No spark at all, and no fuel pump turning on.

So i started checking things..

1. Noticed that the coil pack on the new GTE motor didn't have a ground.. so I fixed that. (Correct, and checked.)
2. Check ground points at A, B, and C in the engine bay..(Under the fuse box, under the MAF, and under the intake manifold) All good.
3. Checked for power AT the coil, good there.
4. Checked applicable fuses for power, all good.
5. Tried to jump the Fuel pump at the diag port.. B+ to FP, nothing. (Which scares me because the car DID run when it was na)
6. Checked for power at the ECU with the key off and on.. Nothing to/from the BATT port on the ECU... odd. So I tried running a wire from the battery to there, got power, nothing different.
7. The IGSW on the ECU does have power with the key on, and not when it's off...
8. Haven't ripped the CPS apart yet, but I read the TSRM when I installed it, and I assure you it was done right. (Although I will be checking anyway just to make sure, unless it's just "bad")
9. The EFI fuse in the box by the battery has power on both ends.
10. No power to the Fuel Pump Relay at all.. (By the passenger side strut tower)

Wondering if I have a fubar wiring harness...

So I've spent the last few hours reading through other posts about this and through the TEWD and TSRM trying to located the issue.. Im hoping someone can point out a stupid mistake I made..

So, someone please, cuss at me, tell me Im stupid, just show me the dumb thing I missed..

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
nsngarage;1696325 said:

BOTTOM SQUARE IN THAT PIC. Look up the injector resistor (i think thats what it is) It should have the Boost sensor attached to it.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

nsngarage;1696325 said:

These should go to some sensors in the Thermostat housing cap.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The bottom square is the injector resistor... I found that and plugged it in..

And the two wires that have nowhere to go, are inside the car, that came from the old B1 plug.. (although I agree it looks like the two from the water neck housing.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, I read (somewhere) that the CEL won't work once you swap in the turbo cluster into an NA car? If that's true I won't be able to check the light for possibly DTCs right? ffs lol

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So.. it seems the harness differences continue. the C1 connector.. by the fuse box, wasn't connected.. hence the no power from BATT on ECU.. Fixed that.. have gotten fuel and spark now, it tried to start, and ran for like 5 seconds, shut off and won't fire and stay running again.. can the CPS being 180 out do that?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
My car was an early 1989 NA. Grey plug harness, but square motor mounts. The current engine is a 1987 turbo, yellow plug. Started first time, with minor issues. Had to re-wire the head light relay line, and replace the black box for the tach. (Still have some tach issues, but they're not insurmountable.)

CEL works just fine, thanks, at least it comes on when I first power on the engine, and will come on if the RPM drops below about 400 or so, like if it just about stalls. Haven't had to pull codes, so I guess testing is incomplete, but it SEEMS to work.

Can't see pictures, but it's almost certain that something isn't plugged in. Sounds like the injector resistor and something to the battery.

There are different goodies under the hood for the 7M-GTE, so you probably need one or more of them. The injector resistor is a biggie, since without that, there's no power to the injectors at all, therefore no fuel. There was some different wiring to the igniter as well.