Gauging interest: my single turbo setup

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
*** This setup is not for sale! I'm just looking for oppinions! ***

I'm thinking about going back to stock twins as my goals for this car have changed, and I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in my single setup.

Specs:
-T04R turbo, 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet, 3" vband exhaust, polished compressor housing
-ebay T4 turbo manifold
-50mm wastegate (open)
-custom 3" downpipe and midpipe that fits perfectly with any stock or aftermarket MKIII cat and cat-back. (currently running HKS Sport Turbo catback and highflow converter)
-BL turbo oil feel/drain setup with restrictor- all flanges are CNC machined (turbo inlet/outlet and oil pan flange)
-4" intake consisting of 45* elbow, polished intake pipe, and large K&N filter
-2.5" 90* silicone connector off turbo outlet

The entire setup has 6K miles on it, and it runs like a charm. The turbo spools fast and pulls hard at only 10psi of boost, which is the most I have run. It makes 5psi by 3,500rpm and 10psi by 4,000rpm. The manifold has discolored from heat, and the turbo hotside and downpipe could use a touch of high-temp paint or ceramic coating to look better, something I would do if keeping this setup.

Pics:
p867354_1.jpg

p867354_2.jpg

p867354_3.jpg

p867354_4.jpg

p867354_5.jpg

I'm thinking $1,100. I spent more than this putting it together, but right now I'm just looking to cut my losses. What do you guys think? This setup is not for sale at this point in time. I'm not pulling it until I have another car to drive and another setup lined up. I'm just gauging interest.

Collin

Last edited:

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Alright, got a vid together to show what it does!

The off-boost acceleration was part throttle shifting at about 3500rpm. As you can tell, the turbo is already spooling by then. Like I said, the spool is quick.

Enjoy!

Edit: fixed the sound errors using a different format.

Collin

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. You take all this time to make a good post that sounds like an advertisement, but you aren't selling it. So what was the point. What kinds of opinions are you looking for?

You say "I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in my single setup" and you even put down a price. So i guess i am totally confused at what you are wanting. Yes, that is a very cool setup. Do you just want a list of names of people that would like your not for sale setup?

I am not trying to be too cynical, but i just got done watching 4 hours of top gear. I have become very obsessed with that show. I just find it a very funny post, but yes, you have a very nice setup. So good luck on not selling it. :)

If yo do find my post rude or uncalled for, i will edit or remove it later.

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
^^^ I understand what you're saying.

I'm simply testing the waters to see if it's even worth my trouble to try and sell it on here when I pull it off. If I can't sell it, then I might just keep it.

Collin

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
seems pretty sick dude... id stick with the single setup and keep modding from there. remember theres one less turbo which means theres alot less things to go wrong.. lol.

just my opinion but i'd prefer single over twins with a 2j / 1j

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
why did you want to go back to stock twins from the single? wont you have the jdm twins or are you getting usdm twins?

i like the twins i wouldve went with them too but every valve was broken so i just went the extra mile

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
tlo86 said:
why did you want to go back to stock twins from the single? wont you have the jdm twins or are you getting usdm twins?

i like the twins i wouldve went with them too but every valve was broken so i just went the extra mile

I got rid of all my JDM twin stuff when I went to a single. I originally went single because the JDM twins were crappy. I actually just picked up a 99% complete USDM twin setup, so the conversion will be underway shortly.

Collin