Gauging interest in Community effort drag car!!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Good to see lots of interest already.

Yes, it would be a good idea on how to get a car built for free, in fact I was wondering when that issue would come up. Let me put it this way.
I already have a mint condition 89 turbo that runs in the 12's. This 87 turbo is a complete and running car that I only use to mock up custom parts on. I don't need free money to build a car. I make plenty of money and could build another car anytime i choose. Believe me, this endevor will end up costing me much more than you think. I would rather spend the money on the car that I have done already for my own benifit, or on a 66 chevy truck that I am restoring. But right now I am choosing to do this.

As far as auto vs 5 speed, auto will be faster, and more consistant, but think about Ryan Woon for one moment. He gets lots more attention running middle to upper 8's shifting, than other Supra's running 7's with an auto. Just a little more exciting I guess.

As of right now, the goal should be to spark interest, prep other areas of the car that need attention, lighten the car, and get the thing out to the track as it sits to first shake down the motor and tranny to see what kind of condition everything is in. I have never driven this car.

Then map out some goals and expectations and a road map to get there.

What do we think?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^^This isn't a friggin' donation charity, foo. ;)

This is to get the MKIII name out there!...I'll piss on a 1J, anyways. ;)

Just messin'. I got love for your 2.5Litre-Eater. :D

BTW: Ryan is now Auto. ;) I knew he would come around. ;)

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
If it makes it better... I'll put a SM.com logo on my car if people each send me money to build my own car to "get the supra name out".. :icon_razz

I do not see ANY reason why this guy wouldn't just take the money that was donated and the parts, and just up and "leave" this community. I would much rather see someone who has been a member for a LONG time do something like this, like IJ for example.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
As I stated many times..just get someone to put in a few bucks each and get someone to race on pinks..= no need for a car. Heck I know a few that would do that :D Yes I would do this but again it would have to be for cash (not for pinks but for cash) They have a new episode coming out called "ALL OUT" where you race for cash and this eway noone loses a car IF they lose.

The money would not go to anything but gas expense/accommodations. PINKS show would need an amount you will race for and that's it! You get your stickers and the MKIII gets rep! :D

Any driver/decent car of course

Duane

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
JoeC said:
If it makes it better... I'll put a SM.com logo on my car if people each send me money to build my own car to "get the supra name out".. :icon_razz

I do not see ANY reason why this guy wouldn't just take the money that was donated and the parts, and just up and "leave" this community. I would much rather see someone who has been a member for a LONG time do something like this, like IJ for example.

I thought I put that theory to bed already. Sure i will send you a few dollars, once you commit to doing all the work, and spending many thosands of your own dollars on a near shell, and then pay for all the fuel in your RV to pull the car to all the races and supra meets around the country. Then i can say i own a part of your car also. Don't like the idea? Then don't donate, no problems.

Even if no one helps out, I am still going to do this just because I said I would

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Thats like if i were going to build my car up "any ways".. ..

I plan on doing a 2jz swap in my car and make it hit 10's.. Should I ask for donations and take it to a few races and get it on TV ?? I don't see the support behing it. IMO its like taking someones donations that were meant for good intentions, and putting it into your car just so you can make *your* car.. better than you would of been able to make it by yourself.

Unno, im just talking out my ass.. dont take offense to my posts.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
:biglaugh:

I just read the ad they put out and you can enter for FREE! Now sounds better and WOTM aka Ryan Woon might be gong with a few of his cars

Duane

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
jtamulis- Thank you for the offer. Once I give the car a good going over, I will have a better idea of what it will need part wise.

Boost Lee - I think at first to go with a 57 or 60 trim stocker upgrade with a 125 shot. Down the road maybe a GT4067

Ideal - we will need some cool SM logo down the side of the car!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
suprarich said:
jtamulis- Thank you for the offer. Once I give the car a good going over, I will have a better idea of what it will need part wise.

Boost Lee - I think at first to go with a 57 or 60 trim stocker upgrade with a 125 shot. Down the road maybe a GT4067

Ideal - we will need some cool SM logo down the side of the car!

Well, if you simply want to go with a .57 or 60 trim...then we can definately work that up for you. If you do need to know anything about them or have any questions, you can contact I or jtamulis...and of course Jon (MDCmotorsports).

A GT4067 is one hell of a step-up from an upgraded CT. :icon_bigg , But as Jon said, we've got something that will be a bit more productive than a GT40 and actually be able to beat a moped off the line! :D

-Jeff

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
JoeC said:
Thats like if i were going to build my car up "any ways".. ..

I plan on doing a 2jz swap in my car and make it hit 10's.. Should I ask for donations and take it to a few races and get it on TV ?? I don't see the support behing it. IMO its like taking someones donations that were meant for good intentions, and putting it into your car just so you can make *your* car.. better than you would of been able to make it by yourself.

Unno, im just talking out my ass.. dont take offense to my posts.

Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck with your build.

Like I said before, yes it is "my" car. And this car would just sit doing nothing if not for wanting to do this. I am not looking for hand outs to build "my" car. I have a Supra that is finished already. I could build that car better if not for spliting my resources between the two. Why are you hating? All I am trying to do is make something all of us can be a part of.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Jeff and John - I can't wait to see this turbo, I might be interested in one for my 89 auto. I was looking at a gt4088 for 650 Hp or a gt4067 for 750 hp, I can get the the gt4088 for 720.00 and the gt4067 for 1100.00 from precision turbo. What foot print will your new turbo have? I have a good core at my shop that I could send to you for and upgrade to get this thing started.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well I think its a great idea. I have a possible solution in mind for the naysayers that are worried that you are just doing this for your own benifit.

What if you were to, in a sense, incorporate the project. Set a value of say maybe $10 for the initial stock price. Someone could then buy shares or donate parts for a comparable "share value". Each person who donates $10 would then get a "share certificate", donate $100 get 10 shares...etc. Now if in the future the car were to be sold, anyone with a number of shares would be entitled to a "dividend" based on the number of shares they own. Major sponsers, those that would get top billing on logo or name placement, would be determined by the number of shares they own.

For example, someone who has 100 shares would get a 3'x1' section on the body for their name. Someone who has 10 shares would get a 12"x4" logo placement. Just examples of possibilities but I think you get the idea. Obviously by donating the car and the initial drivetrain you would have to determine a fair donation value for that, but that would be easy.

I dont know, I think something along those lines would not only help alleviate the fears of some "shareholders" but it would give anyone who donated a tangible item that shows them and proves to others that they have a vested interest in the car. Decisions about the car could also be handled via the top shareholders this way.

What do ya think?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
theweezl-Sounds like a fine idea, I did plan on keeping an up to date list of people and their contributions on the 1st post. Basicly, several people expressed interest in donating some money, I stepped up, if someone does not want to be in on it. Then that is fine. I really only expected the few who originally expressed interest before I made this thread.