Gauge lights not working....

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey guys well got my car up and running. So far everything is running awesome still breaking in but was curious, my dash lights don't work. All the gauges work, all sensor lights work(bird cage, tail lights, door, check engine) Just no back lighting on the gauges. Gauges are stock never been removed. Check the gauge fuse which is fine so what else could it be?

Thanks in advance,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Kckazdude;1066253 said:
Check the dimmer/rheostat. If it is bad it will not allow the lights to work. May also be unplugged.

Yea I can check it, know it isn't unplugged because the lights didn't work before I took the dash apart to do all my gauges and I know I plugged it back in so I will have to see if I can get one to try!

Any other ideas?

Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Yea it does have one, I did not install it, it was in the car when I got it but it is using a plug and play harness not hard wired.....

Damn we have twins:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well almost...

But thanks for the help!

Seth

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
OK, a lot of times people will install an aftermarket radio and the gauge lights stop working. There is a white wire with a green stripe in the stock radio harness that needs to have power when the lights are on. Also, if the cigarette lighter does not have a good ground, the lights won't work as well.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
what did you tap into for power i think you over load one circit

all gauges should be ran off the igntion and if you want you lights to come on with the rest run relay off a trigger off the combo switch

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
could also be your headlight switch/stalk...

your warning lights and gauge readings aren't dependant on the headlight position, but the gauge cluster lighting is...

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Check the bulbs. thats what was wrong with mine. The right side would light up. but the left side was gone....

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
OK so looked into it a bit. Have power at the white and green wire. All relays and fuses good. Tried another dimmer switch but no luck.

-All bulbs are good.
-Cigarett lighter light does not work, neither does the ash tray light. Although there is 12 volts coming into both of them? Tried glove box bulb which is good and no luck.
-Fuse is getting power.
-Climate control lights work when the head lights are not on but as soon as you turn the head lights on the climate control lights go off.
-All other lights in the car work

Also there is also an extra plug in the left side switch panel next to the dimmer that gets 12 volts when the lights come on(same white/green wire). What is supposed to be plugged into that? There are 3 switches and a coin holder in that left panel.

Any help? So what do you think it could be? Obviously someone before had taken it out as well because some of the plastic was broken in back.

I appreciate all the help, hopefully the whole gauge set is not bad!
Seth

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
sethron71;1073345 said:
OK so looked into it a bit. Have power at the white and green wire. All relays and fuses good. Tried another dimmer switch but no luck.

-All bulbs are good.
-Cigarett lighter light does not work, neither does the ash tray light. Although there is 12 volts coming into both of them? Tried glove box bulb which is good and no luck. Try testing for continuity with ground on the white/black wire associated with your ash try light and cigarette lighter.
-Fuse is getting power.
-Climate control lights work when the head lights are not on but as soon as you turn the head lights on the climate control lights go off.
-All other lights in the car work

Also there is also an extra plug in the left side switch panel next to the dimmer that gets 12 volts when the lights come on(same white/green wire). What is supposed to be plugged into that? There are 3 switches and a coin holder in that left panel.
Picture please?
Any help? So what do you think it could be? Obviously someone before had taken it out as well because some of the plastic was broken in back.

I appreciate all the help, hopefully the whole gauge set is not bad!
Seth

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
depends on your car's year..

86-88 had a foglight switch, rear defroster, and cruise button, plus either a coin holder or a blank plate, and below that, was the dimmer..

89 had 2 coin holders, a foglight switch, a rear defroster, and the dimmer in the same location.

90-92 had a foglight switch, the dimmer next to it, rear defroster, and i think a coin holder, or blank plate, not sure, and I think 91/92 if so equipped got a sunroof switch...

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Car is 92' No sun roof.

Here is a pic of the switches:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I will have to look what they are later.

I will check the wires for continuity as well. I am assuming this is to make sure it has a good ground?

Thanks,
Seth