gauge cluster...i thought i would have a good day

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok so i ordered a 90 turbo automatic gauge cluster for my 87 standard....and my tach doesnt work.....is this because it is standard ??

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ummm there swapble i pretty dame sure they are

ps you shure it's not a non turbo one cause that whoudl make sence

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ya well it is a turbo cluster cause it has a tems light on it but now i just realised most of the other gauges dont work either so i messaged the guy i bought it off and he wont even repsond so im guessin its fryed

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
tems means nothing it has to have boost gauge or a white box on the back of it

indy_mk3;923430 said:
ya well it is a turbo cluster cause it has a tems light on it but now i just realised most of the other gauges dont work either so i messaged the guy i bought it off and he wont even repsond so im guessin its fryed

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
if its a turbo cluster, the tach wont work in a NA car due to different ignition systems and the boost gauge wont work due to no boost sensor/turbo etc. the rest should work. The TEMS lights mean nothing. Both models could have TEMS

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The NA tach instrument itself works fine, but you need the driver board from a turbo. You can connect the driver board from your existing instrument cluster to the tach, and it'll work just fine. (I'm using the actual tach instrument from my '89NA with the '87T driver board, and it's fine.)

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ya well i just put non adjustable struts on it and well my old cluster lights dont light up as well but still the whoel cluster is for a 89 turbo and i have a 87 turbo and my boost gauage wont work either because i disconected the stock boost gauge and replaced it with a sport comp but on the new clsuter the fuel gauge, the temp gauge, and the tach doesnt work, the oil pressure never has wokred because i swapped a JDM block into it and forgot to change the sending unit clip becuase i have an american car, and my speedo doesnt work because my cable is broken but i still aint to sure what im gonna do....can i possibly just chaneg the gauges themselves into my 87 cluster's board??

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
indy_mk3;923870 said:
ya well i just put non adjustable struts on it and well my old cluster lights dont light up as well but still the whoel cluster is for a 89 turbo and i have a 87 turbo and my boost gauage wont work either because i disconected the stock boost gauge and replaced it with a sport comp but on the new clsuter the fuel gauge, the temp gauge, and the tach doesnt work, the oil pressure never has wokred because i swapped a JDM block into it and forgot to change the sending unit clip becuase i have an american car, and my speedo doesnt work because my cable is broken but i still aint to sure what im gonna do....can i possibly just chaneg the gauges themselves into my 87 cluster's board??

Yep. As Dan pointed out, all you need to do is swap the driver board from your old cluster, with the driver board in the new cluster if indeed your problem is a circuitry issue. On the other hand, u said that your fuel, tach, and oil pressure guages aren't working now... my next question would be why you are even attempting to swap guages at all... all ur old ones with the exception of ur speedo work right?

Anywho, switch out ur driver board and see if they work then...

Oh and to reiterate a previous post and simultaneously correct another, the Turbo tach will work in place of a NA, its the vice versa that will not. :)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
A guess: The '90 instruments look different from the '87. Arguably nicer.

In which case...

Leave your instrument cluster alone. Swap over just the cosmetic gauge faces instead.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ya well to answer your question i didnt attempt to swap my gauges because im lazy and becuase the first time i tryed with my orignial cluster i hit the needles and screwed up the readings, this is why i got another cluster but i just found 2 parts cars 87's that im buying tomorrow and im just gonna grab a regular 87 turbo tach cluster and speedo cable off of one

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ya i was thinking of doing just the faces on the gauge as well but i just havent attempted to yet because of last time which sucked when i screwed up the needles