Gauge advice

Caplax40

Grand Tourer
Feb 12, 2006
Boise, ID
Did plenty of searching on this one.

It seems that the general concesus on SM is Autometer gauges aren't worth it?

I like the Greddy gauges, but they aren't in Imperial measurements. That's not a major problem, it just doesn't flow with the rest of the instrumentation on my car.

The only ones I can seem to find in Imperial are Defi's and they cost a fortune.

Are there any decengt gauges out there that won't break the bank? I'm looking for a boost and EGT gauge preferably in 52mm for a dual gauge pod, bye the way.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
GReddy or Defi are really the only guages worth buying IMO. The GReddy are much cheaper, but if you don't want american measurements then you don't have much choice.

Oh, and you are correct in what you hear; Autometer is complete china junk.

Last edited:

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
the only reason you hear stories about Autometer gauges failing is just because of the shear number of Autometer gauges that are bought and used each year. If they are good enough for those drag racers running 8's in the 1/4 mile and in NASCAR (i hate NASCAR, but its still an expensive sport), then they are good enough for me.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
mkIIIman089 said:
GReddy or Defi are really the only guages worth buying IMO. The GReddy are much cheaper, but if you don't want american measurements then you don't have much choice.

Oh, and you are correct in what you hear; Autometer is complete china junk.
I'm using autometer gauges. See here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=220319&postcount=255

At between $150 and $220 a piece(electric, not mechanical), they aren't that much cheaper than Greddy for example. I guess I just won't get the JDM tytness...

mkIIIman, would you care to elaborate on your statment that autometers are chinese junk?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
My last drag car had an $8000 Motec digital dash...

And right next to it Autometer Pro-Comps...

I've run them in every competitive race car I've ever had and never had a problem with gauge inaccuracy or build quality.

So is this "junk" opinon based upon personal experience, research, or just "I heard on the import forum"?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, both in fact, my online opinion was created on mkiiitech to start and then as I thought about it I remember how chincy they feel when you hold them, how many don't work at all or if they do actually move they don't rest at 0 or something, on import cars or domestics. They just really are overpriced junk IMO.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i havent had too much experience with autometer or the like, but defi are right up my alley. especiall the imperial bf i think, that all hook up to the defi link (shit, too late at night and im forgetting all names). its the defi box that operates up to seven gauges daisy-chain style. if you have seven defi gauges, then youre an automatic A+ in my book.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
If you check autometer's full catalogue, you'll see they DO have some expensive series, but most ones are quite cheap. Now, if the Greddy or Defi ones are all over 200 dollars, you'd need to break at least 4 Autometers of any "cheap" series to reach that amount, and I doubt they're THAT bad. I've had autometer's in two of my previous cars, and they never broke. That's why I got two autometer gauges for my Supra and they're on the way. 108 bucks for TWO new gauges SHIPPED? Can't beat that! =P