gates racing timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarich said:
So is chrome, polished turbo comp. covers, most braided hoses, powder coating, and just about any other bling under the hood. Its all a waste of money. But everyone still does it, so why not buy a good belt for 70 bucks.

I have NONE of the above ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
he does have expensive thermal dispersants, ect though...

IJ's engine bay is a perfect example of form follows function...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
suprarich said:
You asked for the community's help about a belt, then go outside the community to buy it? Why did you not ask for one of the authorized vendors to give you a price on one?
No shit... Friggin noobs... :nono:

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
Hey guys, sorry if i screwed up by buying the belt from somewere else, but my local napa store did'nt have it and another customer over heard me ask, so he told me to go to that web site. I did not think that i was going to hert anyones fealings or sales. I apologize.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
My whole point posting in this thread is why spend the extra if you don't NEED it.........

a: Unless you're a ricer it's covered

b: Even with 2>2.5x the seat pressure of stock springs the normal belt doesn't break

c: The vast majority of 7M owners have the stock RPM limit

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Damn Ian, beat me to it ;)

I'm going to be running a $32 Goodyear Gatorback belt, myself. I just want a good quality belt - nothing major.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
freakmachine said:
Hey guys, sorry if i screwed up by buying the belt from somewere else, but my local napa store did'nt have it and another customer over heard me ask, so he told me to go to that web site. I did not think that i was going to hert anyones fealings or sales. I apologize.

Don't worry about that, my only point is that the mk3 crowd is small, but a tight group. Several members have their own section in the "Authorized Vendor" forum. These guys work hard to make products, or sell products for our cars. If we don't support them first with our money, then priceless after market support will someday be gone. Always try to work with company who supports our community first. Lots of places sell parts for the mk3, but how many or them give two shits about us?

Everyone else - The whole point of this thread was to ask about the Gates belt, not to trash anyones reason to have one.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Rich: Sorry if you think I was "trashing" anything but there is no good reason to pay a premium for something like this.

A lot of the young guys are buying all of this race specific gear thinking it's "needed" when plain and simple it isn't.

You sell parts I don't I have no reason to recommend a product if I don't think it's applicable.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I wasn't telling him he needs it, he just asked about the quality of a gates belt and I gave him my opinion that it is a good, high quality belt.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :wavey: Dont let the mods see us fighting... :D

IJ has a good point, no need in spending money where it isnt needed, better to spend it where it IS needed...

Rich has a good point, sometimes its not just the money, but the looks, nothing wrong with over kill if it looks the way you want it too, and also, its always best to support the vendors who support us...

Does this thread need to continue, or has it served its purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.