Gata be something better

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
So I'm in search of a better clutch master cyl. I'm so tired of replacing once every year or two, is gere not an aftermarket one or maybe one from another car that will work? So frustrating

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try using a factory toyota one.

Also don't hold the clutch in for long periods of time and don't only press it down half way.

I've been using the same clutch master for 6 years and it was already on the car when I bought it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I would try Toyota also if you are having a problem with aftermarket ones. I've had my AutoZone one for three years now and it is fine. I didn't even think about getting one from Toyota when I got mine, but so far so good.

hvyman;1988572 said:
Try using a factory toyota one.

Also don't hold the clutch in for long periods of time and don't only press it down half way.

I've been using the same clutch master for 6 years and it was already on the car when I bought it.

Why do you say to not hold the clutch for long periods of time and not to press it down half way? I'm just curious.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It wears the seals by holding it down.

Iirc it's bad for the pressure plate by only partially pushing it down. Also clutch if it slipping.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1988597 said:
It wears the seals by holding it down.

Iirc it's bad for the pressure plate by only partially pushing it down. Also clutch if it slipping.

I didn't know that about the seals, that's good to know. That makes sense with pushing it only halfway that it would be bad for everything, not just the master cylinder.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I'm guilty of this^, its how i was taught..

be in gear at an intersection (even at red) in case a real quick reaction is required...

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Well it's not me I don't think, I've had manual all my life and Supras for the majority if it, this isn't my only one currently it's just the only one that goes out this fast, I feel like it may be because it's rhd and it's right above exhaust, I may replace and make some kinda heat shield but the Aisin is good advice, if I go the factory route it's what I'll use but I wanted something a little better if such a creature existed

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The rhd drive cars have heat shields. That would have been important to know. Heat from the exhaust is likely cooking the seals.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
#04;1988727 said:
I'm guilty of this^, its how i was taught..

be in gear at an intersection (even at red) in case a real quick reaction is required...

I tend to do this too. Or drop it in neutral but left foot is still down...

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Customs how do you mount that? And yea I don't have the heat shield, it was removed at some point, I'll hafta do something about it

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
giterboosted;1988796 said:
Customs how do you mount that? And yea I don't have the heat shield, it was removed at some point, I'll hafta do something about it

The master cylinder came with my SPEC super twin. It has an adaptor plate to make the factory holes work.
http://www.highboost.com/sean/Spec Clutch/Spec2.jpg
I am now seeing that unless you want to contact SPEC and attempt to get this master cylinder from them, you will need to make it work with an adaptor plate of your own.