Gas tank removal tips

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Best cut would be to use a small tube cutter, next best would be a hacksaw blade but you'll get fillings in the line (can flush em out by turning the key on for a sec)

Either way if you do this you'll have to replace the line.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
i think replacing one gas line is the least ill have to worry about with this damned car hah... might as well go braided stainless while im there. luckily, my dad has experience making fuel systems for airplanes.

Last edited:

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
damnit everytime i get near that line with the hacksaw blade i get nervous. where shoudl i cut it the side that connects to the gas tank or the side of the fitting that goes to the filter? heh...

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
ok well it seems to have slowed down. i got the tank on jacks, everything disconnected... do i need to unbolt both sides of the straps or just the side near the bumper? ive only got one side now... dunno if itll wreck the straps if i let it down

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
i dont mean to insult you, but have you read the tsrm? it doesnt outline this in detail whatsoever. it only shows an exploded diagram of the gas tank... im having trouble getting the last nut holding the straps onto the strap brakcet right near the passenger side rear wheel.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
wow so that was funny. to get the last nut off i had to put a pair of vice grips on the sheet metal tab that attatches to the body, then used a c-clamp to clamp the vice grips to a part of the suspension. this gave me a strong enough leverage to crack the nut loose. woo hoo.... so now that i ot my gas tank off.. THANKS ... ill take some pics and do a write up on it

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
gastankafter.jpg

clampplace.jpg

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
NATAN666 said:
i dont mean to insult you, but have you read the tsrm? it doesnt outline this in detail whatsoever. it only shows an exploded diagram of the gas tank... im having trouble getting the last nut holding the straps onto the strap brakcet right near the passenger side rear wheel.

not to insult you either, but this is pretty detailed in my opinion and is enough to show how to drop the tank.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
ya i saw that page a long time ago..it helped me with disconnectng all the lines and the electrical, but the straps were stubborn as fuck on mine and i wanted to know if there was another way of getting it off without undoing the last side of the straps, but i got it it so its all good. thanks though.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
hi NATAN , you don't have to hacksaw that line off , all you need is untight the fuel filter inlet bolt and you are done. That is what i did to mine and it came off very easy.