Garrett GTP38 info

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i have a guy that has one... but before i go off and get the turbo off this dude i want more info like specs, is it ball bearing... looked online and not too much info on it... i know it comes out of of a ford powerstroke deisel but any extra info will help... thanks guys!

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i'm looking for any info on this turbo all i know is it's off a ford powerstroke deisel... what i would like to know is map specs, housing specs, is it journal or ball bearing and any information... i have an opportunity to get my hands on one but don't want to get something i have noooo knowledge about... i've looked online and really found nothing so any help is appreciated...

Thanks Guys!!!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
First, please do not continue to post in the forum until you see an answer. Ok?

Second, the GTP38 is a reverse rotation turbocharger, specifically designed for International. It can be found on the DT444e and the DT466 (select models).

There are several versions of this turbo, but for the most part it flows roughly 58 lbs / min.

Its a fairly large turbo charger, with a custom turbine wheel (larger than a P trim) and around a 65mm compressor wheel.

The turbine housings are around .89-1.15.

Could you make horse power from this? Yes. Be warned: these turbos are reverse rotation compared to a traditional style Garrett.

Also, the GTP38 is journal bearing.

The larger, custom Garrett GTP38-R is ball bearing, and flows almost 75 lbs / min.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
yeah sorry about the double post haha first time posting in this section i submitted the post and reallized it didn't post so i tried again to and realized the post has to been approved first then it gets posted sorry. honest mistake. i ended up getting the turbo off the dude prior to you replying, i trade a bunch of 7m parts an intercooler and extra piping i had lying around for two turbos he had... after looking at for a couple days... i realized the amount of lag i'd face with this beast so i put it up for sale... i also put the Holset H2C for sale... but i'm actually thinking about keeping that one now.

your information was greatly appreciated and was added to the description of the turbo

Thanks for everything! :)

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

another question.... what are the benefits or downside of a reverse rotation turbo compared to a traditional style Garrett.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
87supraguy;1591882 said:
[/COLOR]another question.... what are the benefits or downside of a reverse rotation turbo compared to a traditional style Garrett.

Nothing. It was built according to Ford & International's specs. Their specs have a space requirement. To rotate the turbo saves space.