Garrett Gt3076r .84 boosting without wastegate

quark

Mar 27, 2006
Denmark
Hi guys..

Is this possible.

I bought a t4 manifold on ebay for the 7mgte, and my plan was to mount a t3 flange on that manifold. The more I look at the manifold the more I realise that its going to take some work to make it work, the location of the turbo is way different the stock, and there is no room for the turbo outlet to point directly down. Infact I need atleast 2-3 cm of spacers to mount the turbo.

I was think to make a ct26-t3 adaptor and run the turbo without a wastegate, I know a guy who did this before, but I have never heard the outcome. I am thinking, the Turbo isn´t that big, so maybe it´s possible to do it this way, otherwise I have to mount the wastegate on the exhaust housing.

What do you think? Will this turbo run beserk with out a wastegate?

quark

Mar 27, 2006
Denmark
Thank you.. I will make the wastegate come out of the exhaust housing. That should also be a very effective way of controlling the boost.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
what about using a 3076 with internal wastegate? IMO the new design internally gated turbos up to that size range work quite well with internal wastegates.

Here's a typical one by ATP showing their latest and greatest internal gate design:

p1432661_1.jpg

p1432661_2.jpg

ATP blah blah:

Introducing the Ultimate Internal Wastegate!
For those that just prefer to go "internal", we now have a "no compromise" internal wastegate design available that will knock your socks off! Whatever the reason for sticking with the internal gate....whether it's to keep exhaust plumbing simple, or to minimize the amount of fabrication work, all of the flow benefits of the external are now available internal form.

quark

Mar 27, 2006
Denmark
It all worked out okay with the external wastegate. I like the sound of it, and the fact that you know when it opens up.

Attachments

• 05112009114.jpg
    05112009114.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 52

quark

Mar 27, 2006
Denmark
Nick 95 6sp;1432661 said:
what about using a 3076 with internal wastegate? IMO the new design internally gated turbos up to that size range work quite well with internal wastegates.

Here's a typical one by ATP showing their latest and greatest internal gate design:

p1463941_1.jpg

p1463941_2.jpg

ATP blah blah:

Introducing the Ultimate Internal Wastegate!
For those that just prefer to go "internal", we now have a "no compromise" internal wastegate design available that will knock your socks off! Whatever the reason for sticking with the internal gate....whether it's to keep exhaust plumbing simple, or to minimize the amount of fabrication work, all of the flow benefits of the external are now available internal form.