G series diff into a Ga70?

stevo332

Jan 13, 2010
New Zealand
I was wondering if a G series diff can be bolted into where an F series diff sits. would you have to change the axles or could you change the half shaft that go into the diff? Thanks.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
IJ.;1494183 said:
Never heard of a GA70 having an F series thought they were all G's the same as any other A70 car?? (they do have a unique ratio 4.56:1 from memory)

Not all A70's had the G, the F was used in some GA70's, but I thought only on N/A models. As far as I know, all 1G-GTE equipped GA70's had the G-series diff.

What model do you have stevo332? I can check and see what's different between the models. :)

Jeff

stevo332

Jan 13, 2010
New Zealand
Thanks alot for the help so far. Basically the reason i want to run a g series diff in my supra is that my current f series diff blew the spider gears from doing burnouts, I locked it up which was ok for about 2000ks now the bearings are worn out from to much metal going through them. I've had a hard time trying to find a replacment f series diff. So my alternative could possibly be a g series if they fit.

28jf7ux.jpg

Currently running a 1jz with R154 box. I brought it with the conversion done, kinda strange since it was running an open diff. Anyway i hope you can read the details on that pic. Thanks in advance

stevo332

Jan 13, 2010
New Zealand
IJ.;1495831 said:
Can you get some pics of the F under your car?

I might pull it out this weekend since i need to replace my clutch anyway, if not i will take some pics of it as is. It looks pretty similar to a g series except the shafts coming out the side have 4 bolts instead of 6.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
My Soarer had the F in it.
You would need to change the halfshafts, as they are 4-bolt, instead of the 6-bolt that the G series comes with.
Sorry, I never looked close enough at it to see if the G diff takes a different sub-frame.
Maybe Jeff could shead some light on that.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Just a thought......
Do you guys get the IS200 Altezza down there?
Because they come with a bullet proof F size helical, and it will go right into your housing.
A local guy here put one in his MkII, and loves it.

stevo332

Jan 13, 2010
New Zealand
A couple of days ago i went to a self service car wreckers (Pick a part) for some parts for a friends car, turned out there was a supra there. Pulled the diff and the shafts out was only a g254 out of a turbo ga70. Payed 70 nzd. Got it home and it bolted up no problem.

Thanks for all the help.