FYI: W58 slave cylinder differences

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Just a little FYI for anyone else having trouble with a W58 slave.
Long story short JZA70 clutch master and W58 OEM slave both failed un-spectacularly.
Rebuilt JZA70 master is perfect now, however I purchased a new slave from Advanced (should have went to Toyota?). Come to find out it's almost an 1/8" larger piston than OEM, no amount of adjustment would fully disengage my OS Giken.
Picked up an awesome (and cheap!) PBR slave, custom SS braided line, and couldn't be happier. Plus now I have three different length slave push rods to choose from for some reason.
And here's a pic of my dirty underside just because.

p1691067_1.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Clutch master and slave are two parts that it's worth buying from Toyota. The parts from elsewhere seem to last about a year of daily use. The parts from Toyota last 15+ years under the same conditions. Well worth the extra cost IMO.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Hm, didn't think the OS clutch was ever intended to be used with a W58.

But anyway, post the 3 lengths of push rods you have, may be of some help to someone in the future.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
You're preaching to the choir, mine lasted 22 years. :) Toyota would usually be my first stop however the local dealership is terrible, no time to order online and wait either. Besides, the quality of this PBR slave appears on par or better than the OEM, and under $20.

CT26smoker;1691092 said:
Hm, didn't think the OS clutch was ever intended to be used with a W58.

But anyway, post the 3 lengths of push rods you have, may be of some help to someone in the future.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the rods, over a half inch difference in those. My TS2B OS技研 is bolted to a 1G-GT BTW.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Damn. This is probably why my clutch engages right off the floor. Cheap slave cylinder FTL.

What's the W58 slave cylinder bore supposed to be anyway?

bk_

Dec 5, 2010
Perth
1jzmerc.com
projectsupra;1691067 said:
I purchased a new slave from Advanced (should have went to Toyota?). Come to find out it's almost an 1/8" larger piston than OEM,

Hi Projectsupra, I tried sending a PM but your mailbox is full.

Could you tell me the part number for this slave cylinder as I am looking for a bigger-than-OEM bore diameter to suit a W58.

Thanks.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Same thing happened to me, went back to oreilly and ordred a different more expensive brand called Beck/Arnley..... Right off the bat I saw it and it looked 20X better than the one with the long push rod. I'm happy with it :D...... It prob cost the same as an OEM one thou :(.....

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Having a little trouble with mine as well, could anyone chime in on this? I have a cheapo slave and my clutch refuses to disengage completely, even after being adjusted, but it only started recently and I have had this slave for a while. I measured the bore to be .874" and it has an anodized blue piston inside. Anyone have the measurement for a stock slave?

Last edited: