funny problem

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Well just recently my motor has been making an odd noise. If I accelerate hard and hit full boost (~13 psi) my motor sounds like its blowing a raspberry at me and I stop accelerating. If I accelerate slowly I can rev right to redline with no issue. I thought right away it must be a spark issue so I replaced the sparkplugs (which looked really good still) with new ones. (replaced ngk 6097's with more 6097's) After doing this I took the car for a drive and still had the same problem. I talked to a few friends about it and a buddy of mine mentioned his old dakota doing the same thing and it was a sensor for him but he sold it and never fixed it so he doesn't know whcih sensor it was. Anyone have any ideas on if this is a sensor problem and if so what sensor. Any other ideas would be great also. Thanks

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Gap them to .028, had similar problems, this fixed it. if it doesnt work, make sure your coil packs arent cracked, look up how to solve that problem.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Checked the coilpacks when I changed the plugs and they all looked good; no cracking. As for gapping the plugs I have never had an issue in the last 10,000 KM on the car with the plugs why would it change now? (not trying to sound like an ass just curious)

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Not too sure, what is your gap set at? always good to double check. Could be a variety of conditions. My car was fine at ~12 psi. when it was cold i would hit 13-14. this is when my plugs blew out. iono. doesnt hurt to double check the gap.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Just because your coil packs "look good" doesn't mean they are. I have seen coil packs with cracks and melted plastic, but myn looked flawless and my car miss fired under boost. Heat shrinked them and magicaly no miss fire. Don't make the same mistake i did and over look them.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Thanks for the tips. I'll pull the coil packs and plugs again and do the gap and also heat shrink the coils. Clear nail polish does the same as heat shrink correct. Also it is 1 1/4 heat shrink correct?