Fuel upgrades

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
I was just about to change my stock fuel filter, but considering how much of a pain it is (I can't fit my hands in there to get to it! :(), I'm going to upgrade to a new fuel pump (bosch 040) at the same time.

Got me thinking... is it worth relocating the stock filter so its easier to get to? This would require changing around some of the hard lines by the fuel tank, so is it worth re-plumbing the whole car with a nice -6 AN braided line the whole way along the car? (and probably putting an aeromotive AFPR in at the same time..)

I'm thinking re plumbing all the hardlines will be a costly experience, and the filter won't need to be replaced for many years.. so maybe it's not worth it?

Any opinions?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
the fuel filters are supost to last the life of the vehicle, thats why their a pain to get too..

i wouldn't worrie about relocatin it unless you have to change it every couple years..

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, but 'supposed to' doesn't mean they will.. I'm going to replace the fuel filter anyway to see if I can narrow down some problems i've been having, so was wondering whether relocating it, replumbing the fuel lines, etc would be worth it.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Does anyone know how restrictive the stock lines are? or if they're restrictive at all?

Would it also be a good idea to get rid of the charcoal canister while i'm working around there and just route that line out the side somewhere?
I understand what the charcoal canister does and don't really see any need for it to be there taking up valuable real estate. Is it safe to vent the fuel tank out the rear of the car, so close to things like exhausts?

suprafredde

Apr 21, 2005
South of sweden
Not impossible to remove. Like the top starter bolt, have patience.
But try not getting gas in your armpit, cold and hurts as hell!!!

Plug the ventline by the engine and split the gascap in 2 and drill a small hole in the lower part.

suprafredde

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
You mean make a vented filler cap? I could always just buy one too..

Anyway, thanks for the charcoal canister suggestions but what I'm really wondering about here in this thread is the fuel lines! :)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I remember reading a Toyota write up on not changing the factory fuel filter on these cars for the life of the vehicle.

Something about it being good for 300,000 or more thousand miles. (At the low end.)

That being the case, as I add the second pump, I'm going to try and use the spare stock fuel filter I have here. (I was going to replace it, but when I found it to be such a PITA to change, I decided there must be something to that Toyota write up after all.....)

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Adjuster said:
I remember reading a Toyota write up on not changing the factory fuel filter on these cars for the life of the vehicle.

Something about it being good for 300,000 or more thousand miles. (At the low end.)

What about running leaded, high octane through it ocassionally? Wouldn't that shorten it's life considerably?