Fuel Upgrade

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I'm thinking of getting a sard 650cc direct fit injectors. I already have a walbro pump and just bought aero afr. Has anyone run this fuel setup and also like to know if you were able to control the fuel and tune it with a SAFC?

Thanks.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
dont quote me on it, but i think that 650cc is just out of the range of the SAFC, im not sure tho. Suprahero has a pretty close to the same setup (620cc-ish) so he may be able to answer this better

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
albert74;1159601 said:
You will be fine controlling 650's with an safc 2 or a neo.

Are you running the same setup. What's your fp pressure set at how much fuel did you pull at upper rpm range, just curious...

thanks.

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
A friend of mine is running 720's on an safc2, fuel pressure at 40psi with the vac off. We just set up the safc 2 to pull up to 50% of fuel in some spots. So trust me when i tell you that you would be fine with controlling 650's.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I did run the SARD injectors with my SAFCII, but I had to pull a lot of fuel. My injectors flowrated to 624cc's when I had them tested. I also had my fuel pressure set to about 28psi if I'm remembering correctly. If you're asking me to recommend it then I'm not going to, because it seem'd like my car ran a little richer than I wanted it too, but you do what you want. If I had to recommend anything to you, it would be to save up for the Stinger or some other engine management system. When I switched to the Stinger, I only made about thirty more peak horsepower @ the same boost level I was on with the SAFCII, but I picked up 97rwhp and 99rwtq between 4000 and 5000 rpm............it felt a hell of a lot stronger also. Good luck.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
About 18-20psi. I heard a lot in sf with this setup and even running with 680cc and some with 720cc with good success. I do agree that will have to pull lots of fuel and get the low throttle tune correctly or it will be fouling out the plugs left and right. If I can get close to around 500rwhp with 540cc I will choose it over 650cc but somebody out there always said to go bigger to give a bit safety margin.

Will the greddy emb be able to control this much fuel and not worry about the stock ecu advancing timimg too much?

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
OneJSupra;1159978 said:
About 18-20psi. I heard a lot in sf with this setup and even running with 680cc and some with 720cc with good success. I do agree that will have to pull lots of fuel and get the low throttle tune correctly or it will be fouling out the plugs left and right. If I can get close to around 500rwhp with 540cc I will choose it over 650cc but somebody out there always said to go bigger to give a bit safety margin.

Will the greddy emb be able to control this much fuel and not worry about the stock ecu advancing timimg too much?

I'm using a greddy emb on my car right now as we speak. I haven't tuned the car with it yet, but i just set the injector correction factor on it and i'm it gave me a pretty good base map to drive the car with. I mean it's not breaking up in non boost conditions but as soon as the boost hit's it goes really rich. Driveabilty is ok even without a tune. With the greddy injector harness you're capable of controlling 150% bigger injectors over stock with the EMB with 100%+ or - fuel control. It's a more capable unit than the safc2 and that's why i chose it. You can also buy the greddy ignition control harness to control timing with the EMB. Both the injector and ignition harness's go for like $80 for the pair. That's how much i bought them.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
albert74;1160066 said:
I'm using a greddy emb on my car right now as we speak. I haven't tuned the car with it yet, but i just set the injector correction factor on it and i'm it gave me a pretty good base map to drive the car with. I mean it's not breaking up in non boost conditions but as soon as the boost hit's it goes really rich. Driveabilty is ok even without a tune. With the greddy injector harness you're capable of controlling 150% bigger injectors over stock with the EMB with 100%+ or - fuel control. It's a more capable unit than the safc2 and that's why i chose it. You can also buy the greddy ignition control harness to control timing with the EMB. Both the injector and ignition harness's go for like $80 for the pair. That's how much i bought them.

That's good to know. Let me know how this works out for you. I'm hearing lots of pros and cons with the 650 being out of the range of the safc. I may just get the 540cc for now and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies guys.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Assuming a base fuel pressure of 38psi, 20psi of boost will be running 58psi of fuel pressure. Add in another 5psi for pressure drop in the lines, the pump is seeing about 63-65psi of pressure against it.

6x650cc injectors running @ 85% duty cycle will require 199lph of fuel.

A Walbro 255lph pump will only flow about 171lph @ 65psi. A walbro 255 high pressure pump will flow about 184lph.

You're going to be running out of fuel pushing those injectors with a walbro. IMO, it would be a good idea to get a better pump.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
The fuel should compliment your power needs.

If you're not going to go over 450rwhp then a single walbro should be fine with any sized injector. You may get more out of the pump than that, but that's up to you.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
550's are fine with a SAFC, 650's may be a little tough to control. When I had my Eman blue, I was running 720cc injectors and even passed emmsissions testing, but that was with the full injection/ ignition, map options working.

Randyy

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
annoyingrob;1160758 said:
Assuming a base fuel pressure of 38psi, 20psi of boost will be running 58psi of fuel pressure. Add in another 5psi for pressure drop in the lines, the pump is seeing about 63-65psi of pressure against it.

6x650cc injectors running @ 85% duty cycle will require 199lph of fuel.

A Walbro 255lph pump will only flow about 171lph @ 65psi. A walbro 255 high pressure pump will flow about 184lph.

You're going to be running out of fuel pushing those injectors with a walbro. IMO, it would be a good idea to get a better pump.

I want to get close to 500 maybe 480rwhp with the 540cc around 19-20 psi of boost. Or is that running too close duty cycle with these injectors? How do you calculate these things?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OneJSupra;1162265 said:
I want to get close to 500 maybe 480rwhp with the 540cc around 19-20 psi of boost. Or is that running too close duty cycle with these injectors? How do you calculate these things?

It's easy. to calculate. 540cc injectors will flow 540 cubic centimetres (AKA, mL) of fuel per minute. Your motor has 6 of them. 6x540cc/min * 60min/hr = 194,400 mL/h

194,400mL/h / 1000mL/L = 194.4 L/hr

A good rule of thumb is never run your injectors past 85% duty cycle.

194.4 L/h * 0.85 = 165 L/hr

Now, most Denso injectors run around 38psi of static fuel pressure. YUour fuel pressure is a 1:1 ratio FPR, so fuel perssure will raise 1psi for each psi of boost. If you're running 20psi of boost, fuel pressure will be 58psi. There is a small pressure drop due to the restriction of the lines them selves, 5psi is a good estimation. Less if you have larger lines. That gives you 63psi of fuel pressure.

It's then a simple task of finding a flow chart for your fuel pump, and seeing if it can supply enough fuel. This will only tell you if you're pump is up to supplying the injectors though. Trying to figure out if the injectors can supply the power you want is a whole different story. In general, for most 6 cylinder motors, I like to use 1cc=1whp. So, 500whp would need 500cc injectors. That's only a general rule of thumb though.