Fuel pump upgrade

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
This question is for those that have upgraded their fuel pump. When you did so, did you just put in a new pump and add in an AFPR, or did you have to make other modifications to the system such as wiring? I am also wondering if it is possible to eliminate the fuel pump resistor in the system or if you have to keep it.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
From my reading it's not the best way to run it but it won't hurt anything if you're close to stock and your factory wiring is in decent shape.

I'm currently running my Walbro 255 on the stock wiring with the resistor bypassed. The only fuel line mod I have done is the pulsation dampener bypass (the stock dampener was shot, planning ahead).

Also, I don't plan to leave it like this for long. Before I go for more power I will be doing an AFPR, J-Tube bypass (DM's kit includes the bypass), and running fresh wire to the pump.

To bypass the resistor check the last two pictures of post #3 in http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?62343-How-To-Walbro-Install-with-12VRelay-all-in-one-thread-with-Pics.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
I have a walbro 255 with stock wiring and resistor not bypassed
No issues with fuel pressure being set at 43psi. Using aeromotive afpr and j tube bypass

I how ever did talk to tech support at walbro. He stated that their pumps should run 12v or more.
The switching of voltages can harm the motor inside the pump
I have 12k miles on my walbro with no ill effects
When I upgrade to e85 I will swap in a walbro 400 which will definitely need bigger wiring

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
I did my upgrade when i added the lex 550 mod. I used a Aeromotive over the Walbro due to about a forty dollar difference and 80 LPH in the Aeromotive's favor. I also did a wire upgrade at the same time. pretty easy and worth the trouble. As i recall i used a extra Toyota relay i had lying around and installed it in the strange plastic container in the trunk under the wooden tire cover. I am not sure what the plastic container is for, but its new purpose suits it well. As for the J-tube i removed it and used all new braided SS lines, and deleted the dampener which i do not recommend. It can cause some kind of surging and leads to a miss in the RPM range around 2500. At least that is what i have read on here. I have yet to see it in action on my vehicle. Also i cheaped out and used a egay AFPR. I am still waiting for it to blow up but its still working and has just hit the year mark, to ease my paranoia i installed a electric fuel pressure sender on the regulator and gauge on the dash in case it starts leaking, an Aeromotive is in store soon (light bulb goes on in head) "water-hammer effect is what the condition is called"