fuel pump question

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
where can i get a performance fuel tank for external fuel pumps? I have been thinking...if I go with the walboro...might as well go a little further and buy the whole gosh darn system! External pump with internal fuel cell baffles for high G loads (laterally).

Which fuel cell does Duane (CFX) have? Any pics of his set up?

-Jonathan

J

JerzeySlowpra

thanks for all the help and the pic from DISCED would help alot to!

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
siman said:
where can i get a performance fuel tank for external fuel pumps? I have been thinking...if I go with the walboro...might as well go a little further and buy the whole gosh darn system! External pump with internal fuel cell baffles for high G loads (laterally).

Which fuel cell does Duane (CFX) have? Any pics of his set up?

-Jonathan

Last I checked, Duane has a sumped stock tank. There used to be some pictures up on the CFX website. Here are a few pics of mine, similar to Duane's (lots less pretty though).
1.jpg

0.jpg

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
chevyeater said:
Last I checked, Duane has a sumped stock tank. There used to be some pictures up on the CFX website. Here are a few pics of mine, similar to Duane's (lots less pretty though).
1.jpg

0.jpg

Looks great to me! I am guessing one is return and the other is the feed ( the two holes)???

-Jonathan

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Actually, I was planning on using both as feeds since the suction side of the system needs to be very free flowing. I got in a hurry putting everything together though and I just blocked one off. The return is a -6 bulkhead fitting in the stock pump hanger, on top of the tank.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Chevyeater,

I really like your idea, the placement of the "sump" for the most part....all the "left over" fuel will flow into the bottem sump area...

what fuel are you going to be using on your project? pump or race gas?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
The tank I have is stock but has a sump tigged in to it. It has 2 holes (one is extra for whatever I may use later :icon_bigg ) The pump I have is an A1000 and is custom mounted. What I did was have the 2 holes from the sway bars links used. EX: It is then goes like in the pic :) A bracket is then mounte din the middle to have the pump mounted. It is also tigged on. Then you mount the pump to that using rubber bushings. This way the pump gets some extra air flow rather than mounting it close up to the frame. :biglaugh:

Can't find any other pics just yet. Sorry. :icon_conf

Hope that helps

Duane

Attachments

• IM001448.JPG
    IM001448.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 43

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
group a supra said:
figgie have you seen the price i know im spending thousands of pounds on it but aint a millionaire the reason going aeromotive is i need two and they will do the job and at half the money but you are right weldon are fantastic point well seen

oh they are not that expensive. Granted your two A1000 are about 30% of one weldon 2345. :)

Just becareful if you are going to be running in the street with those two fuel pumps. They are known to vapor lock in daily driving conditions.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
siman said:
Chevyeater,

I really like your idea, the placement of the "sump" for the most part....all the "left over" fuel will flow into the bottem sump area...

what fuel are you going to be using on your project? pump or race gas?

Car is running now on 1/2 C16 race gas mixed with 1/2 93 pump gas. As soon as I get a minor issue sorted out with the EMS, I can run pump gas or race when the situation merits it.

Here is an installed photo:
2.jpg

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I like!

That fuel tank mod seems to work pretty darn well!

are you running SS lines all the way to the fuel rail ( FPR)?

What fuel filter and pump are you running chevy? Did you state it yet a couple of pages back? :icon_conf

and what is your "minor issue"...and what EMS are you running?

-Jonathan

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yep, -10 braided from the tank to the engine compartment, split to two -6 lines feeding both ends of the rail and a single -6 return from the center of the rail.

The pump is an Aeromotive marine unit and the filters are Aeromotive 100 micron pre-pump and 10 micron post -10 filters.

The minor issue with the AEM EMS is knock sensor noise. It looks at the knock sensors differently than the stock ECU and I'm going to need to figure out a way to filter out some of the normal engine noise the sensors pick up so that I can be sure to detect knock, if there ever is any, over ~4k rpm.