Fuel pump install...

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Im going to have some time to intall my Walboro this week and was wondering what type of job I was looking at. My question is can I use the access panel or do I have to drop the tank (I just filled up the tank today and im not looking to loose fuel at $2.50gal. )? Much appreciation for the help in advance.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
We dont have an access panel for the fuel pump, dropping the tank is only a few simple tasks, remove the sensor access panel, unplug the sensors, disconnect the fuel lines, remove the big support bolts on the straps, drop the tank a little and take off the filler tube, then remove the tank. Dont forget to support the tank with a jack while your doing this, also might be smart to disconnect the battery.

While your down there you could replace the fuel filter too.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
I find that draining the tank is the easiest. Then you don't need a jack, unless you're a girlie man.

I jack up the car enough to get 5 gallon buckets under the drain plug. Open the drain plug using a 3/8" Socket extension, I keep 3 (4 if you're full) CLEAN 5 gal. buckets ready. I then funnel the gas into cans for easy pouring into the tank.

Last edited:

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
A fuel pump installation isn't too bad, but it's not the easiest on a Supra. I installed a Walbro pump about 2 months ago, but my installation took a bit longer since I broke the fuel feed line coming from the tank. I ended up using SS fuel line and some AN fittings to attach to the newly replaced fuel filter. Use lots of PB blaster on the connections, and disconnect it at the fuel filter if you can't get the main connection to come apart.

The fuel pump is a lot easier to replace in a DSM since there is a nice access panel below the rear seats. The fuel filter is also easy since it's in the engine bay. :)

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
KINGPIN33 said:
Could you not make the opening larger from the hatch to gain full access to the pump?
You could, but I would still drop the tank to make sure it's out of the way.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jimi87-t made an access panel for the fuel pump. check it out in his build thread in the build/gallery area.

-shaeff

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
I swapped in my Walbro in an afternoon by myself, Couldn't get the big nuts loose so I pulled the hinge pins and dropped the whole mess that way. TRY not to break anything....the pump bracket was $100 to replace and the pump-to-filter line is another $90. Change your filter out while your at it, trust me. Eric

leftfoot

Jul 7, 2012
Central Florida
Wendigo;453437 said:
I swapped in my Walbro in an afternoon by myself, Couldn't get the big nuts loose so I pulled the hinge pins and dropped the whole mess that way. TRY not to break anything....the pump bracket was $100 to replace and the pump-to-filter line is another $90. Change your filter out while your at it, trust me. Eric

Not to raise the dead, but I am in the process of replacing an ethanol crystallized pump (stupid ethanol) with a new Walboro... just wish I would have read Wendingo's comment BEFORE trying to drop the tank.
dropped a $100 for a new bracket assembly - Check
Replaced fuel filter before dropping the tank - bloody knuckles Check