Fuel Pump Help

lilmartian09

Apr 1, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
I need some help everyone. Here is the story. I just finished rebuilding my 7mgte and finished installing everything but now I have a issue. I turn the key on and everything has the same noises letting me know that those things are turning on except the fuel pump. As I jump FP +b the pump turns on when I put the ignition key to ON. As I take it off and try it without it no fuel pump noise again. Anyone know were the problem is. The fuel pump is brand new 2.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Fuel pump doesn't run until the ECU sees the engine spinning. (it also runs when the key is in the start position)

Toyota never did that pump priming that many domestics do. :)

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Aftermarket Engine management? I know I have my AEM set up to do a pump prime, but it def did not do it in OEM form... You might have some goodies you don't know about !!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You said it doesnt when you pull the jumper?

Jumped yes it will. Without the jumper it shouldnt.

jz swaps are usualyl wired to prime too.

What is the problem it cranks but doesnt start?
Do you have spark?
do you have fuel?

lilmartian09

Apr 1, 2010
I dont im pretty sure. Well you can here something turn on in the back when I didnt have this issue before. But I do have a question for you guys. If my EFI Main Relay isnt working would the pump still turn on while I jumped FP +B.

lilmartian09

Apr 1, 2010
I havent cranked her yet because I want it to just start up and stay on. But I just tested my EFI Main Relay and it failed the test from TSRM. So thats why I was asking if without the EFI Main Relay working would the jump still have the pump turn on

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sure you got the prongs right on the relay? Should have resistance on 2 of the ports only.

If you put power to those 2 ports you should have resistance in the other 2.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
We can only go by what you post so allow me to dumb it down further: Assuming you haven't rewired the car if the fuel pump works when jumped on and/or the MIL comes on and you can check for codes the main relay is working. Stop playing with it.

And as has been pointed out if you have a stock ECU the fuel pump only runs when the key is at start and after the engine is running. Again, that's assuming your wiring hasn't been dicked with. Schematics don't lie...