Fuel Pump for MKIII with 1JZ

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Alright. I just bought a 1jz-gte to swap into my MKIII. I was wondering what fuel pump I would need? Would a walbro be alright, and if so are all walbro's for the Supra's the same?

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I guess it depends on how much power you plan on putting down with the 1JZ. Anything less than 500hp and I would put in a Walbro 255. If you plan on making more than 500hp then you probably want to put in 2 walbros or a walbro and a inline pump

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
This question's answer depends completely on your setup, what you plan to do with it in the future, and how many times you want to redo the fuel system.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
given IJ's reputation for above and beyond, his pump could probably fuel a semi... :D (not a walbro)

i wasnt aware the motor had anything to do with the pump, other then power levels and how much fuel you might need to stay safe?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
grimreaper;1329963 said:
given IJ's reputation for above and beyond, his pump could probably fuel a semi... :D (not a walbro)

i wasnt aware the motor had anything to do with the pump, other then power levels and how much fuel you might need to stay safe?

I bought a walbro for my setup. I guess my motor was shipped on the 27th, so I ordered my mounts and the fuel pump, lets hope all goes well.

grimreaper;1329963 said:

Well, i want a good performer that isnt going to make horribly loud noises like i have heard so many walbros do. That is why i was looking at the denso pumps. I thought they would be better in all ways and just about the same price. I wasn't seeing a negative until IJ said what he said.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
viperkillertt;1330032 said:
Well, i want a good performer that isnt going to make horribly loud noises like i have heard so many walbros do. That is why i was looking at the denso pumps. I thought they would be better in all ways and just about the same price. I wasn't seeing a negative until IJ said what he said.

Its not really that big of a negative cause if your running 20psi you'll be making enough power you'll be on the verge of needing a bigger fuel pump anyways.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
grimreaper;1329963 said:

I run 2x Aeromotive Tsunami's, the fuel system is one place where skimping is suicide.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
A single walbro will do fine for power goal of up to 500-550hp. Anything over than that you need to have higher or dual fuel pumps to be on a safe side. There's an mk2 supra in SF that dynoed his 1j at 500+ hp with a single walbro and stock fuel pressure regulator.

I've been running a single walbro since 2006 and works fine for my setup, only thing I don't like is the noise but with my exhaust sometimes you cannot hear it.

TokyoTuned2

Dec 9, 2008
FL
I just put a 1JZ in my 240sx and have a possibly dumb question. I still have the old walbro 255lph from my SR20 that I previously had in my 240. Will it change anything now that I have the 1JZ or should I buy a walbro specific to the 1JZ?

TokyoTuned2;1331065 said:
I just put a 1JZ in my 240sx and have a possibly dumb question. I still have the old walbro 255lph from my SR20 that I previously had in my 240. Will it change anything now that I have the 1JZ or should I buy a walbro specific to the 1JZ?
no difference, just he kit might be difference. It should be the exact same pump. As long as you are sure you don't have a china one, then you are fine.