fuel pressure

tanner_pimp101

Jul 23, 2006
Somewhere, CA
I just put in a walbro 255 fuel pump and a Aeromotive fuel pressure regulater and I need to know what psi my fuel should be set at with the vacuum line off?? I still have stock injectors, afm, and turbo.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
33-40 psi vac off
23-30 psi vac on

Both have to be in range at idle.

Tanner - if you've installed a Walbro, you either need to drill the J tube out or eliminate it.

10sec - This is the Tech Section...if you are not 100% sure, do not post.

tanner_pimp101

Jul 23, 2006
Somewhere, CA
jdub;1291226 said:
33-40 psi vac off
23-30 psi vac on

Tanner - if you've installed a Walbro, you either need to drill the J tube out or eliminate it.

I did, I have an aftermarket block off plate from DRIFTMOTION.

mk3dude

May 16, 2006
Toronto
jdub;1291226 said:
33-40 psi vac off
23-30 psi vac on

I was wondering my fuel pressure at idle with vac off is around 40psi but when i do connect the vac the pressure drops only to around 35psi. is this normal? I am running stock injectors as well as fuel pump.

Thanks

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's not normal...pressure should drop into the "vac on" range I posted. Did you drill out or remove the J tube?

mk3dude

May 16, 2006
Toronto
The J tube is in the same location nothing has been drilled out. but it has been by passed im running the return line straight. would not drilling out the j tube cause the weird vacume?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I guess there's no way the J tube can affect fuel pressure then ;)

Is this a stock FRP as well? If not, exactly what kind? (is it a Chinese copy)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not familiar with that one. I was actually referring to the Aeromotive knockoffs you see sold on eBay...the diaphragm is crap, but you can fix it by ordering an Aeromotive replacement from Summit.

It sounds like the SX one you have is not giving you the proper drop...maybe someone will chime in that has one. Meanwhile, I would lower the vac off FP to 33-35 so it will put you in the correct range vac on.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
sx regulators are a very high end product so I doubt quality is the issue.

they are however probably aimed at a fuel system that is pushing more pressure than what 1 walbro 255 is pushing.

do you have any vac problems when on idle? (low vac)

mk3dude

May 16, 2006
Toronto
No issues on idle boost gauge shows 20 vac. could it be that my gauge on the regulator is not calibrated properly? the gauge is a def con gauge. did not have much faith in it when i got it in the first place. but i could not say no to free :nono: