fuel or something

Beaner

SUPRAMAN
Dec 6, 2007
florida
i have a 88 toyota supra 7m-ge
i had a problem starting my car
i thought it was the fuel pump so took down fuel tank took it out it was nasty in there so had the tank redone and got new fuel pump we think it mite be a relay or something
can anyone help please

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Beaner;900515 said:
i have a 88 toyota supra 7m-ge
i had a problem starting my car
i thought it was the fuel pump so took down fuel tank took it out it was nasty in there so had the tank redone and got new fuel pump we think it mite be a relay or something
can anyone help please
There is a lot of things besides the fuel pump to cause it not to start, what made you think it was the fp? Any codes?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
If you jumper Fp and B+ in the diagnostic connector, do you hear fuel flowing in the fuel rail?

The fuel pump relay and resistor are mounted together on the passenger side fender well, close to the top strut mount under the hood.

What kind of problem are you having starting the car? More information would be good...

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Those fuel lines flex and kink easily. The tank can be a fun gig if it's your first.
The upside is that the money spent on the new fuel pump was definitely not misallocated.

When you turn the key to on..., you should hear the pump start to hum.
If it's not then you need to meter the incoming power wires. Cuel's right about the fp relay.
Def, wanna meter that.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well couldn't his problem be really simple? I mean he didn't describe what the car does when he tries to start it...

a "problem starting [his] car" could be anything from the alarm system killing it, to a bad fuse, to a broken wire.... shouldn't we get a more through description first?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Yea seriously, you need to give a thorough description of the problem.

Do you hear the fuel tank hum when you turn the key to the ON position?
Does your alarm ever go off?
Does it crank over?
If it does, then pull a cable off a plug and hold it next to the body, and see if it sparks as its turning over, if it does, then its a fuel problem.

That means check fp relay, lines, filter, pump etc.

If not, check your coil, wiring, dist cap, etc.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Actually, iirc, there is a safety feature in the afm that doesn't let the fuel pump activate with the key in the "on" position, and the motor not running. You actually have to start the car to activate the fuel pump, or jumper the afore mentioned 2 pins in the diag. connector.

And again, more information on "starting trouble" would be good...