Fuel Gauge not working

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I did not change anything at all when I installed my external fuel pump. I never opened the cover for the sending unit either. When I open the key, the gauge does not move at all not even when I start the car, it just stays down by "E" and yes I put like 5 gallons of gas in it and still nothing. Is there a way to check if it's getting signal or is there somewhere in the car I can check for a wiring issue?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Yes I unplugged it and re plugged it in when I put the tank on. Now when I dropped the tank it did get hung up on the wire somehow but the wires look fine. Is there someway I can test this because I know it was working perfectly fine until the new pump project.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
you might have pulled a pin out of the plug or something, I would just take off the cover and inspect the plugs first, make sure that both pins are in either side of the plug. do you have a voltmeter, if so, you could check resistance across the two pins on the sender side plug. Just make sure its not open or shorted on the sender side first.