Fuel gauge issue

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Alright guys, I finally got the supra running again by installing a walbro in the tank. I found that the damn fuel lines were blocked from all the crap that was in the tank from the bad gas. The fuel pump was also rusted quite a bit. I basically did an entire tune up on the car, replaced the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel fitler, air filter, and fuel pump. I also washed out the inside of the tank with a water hose to get all that crap out of the bottom of it. All the work was worth it though. It was actually my first time driving the car and I just rode around the neighborhood a couple of times to make sure everything was working properly and everyone kept staring trying to figure out what the hell kind of car it is and little kids waving at me and trying to chase me down. So I had to show off a little and kicked the back end out when turning around in a cul-de-sac. I had so much fun driving it around the neighborhood its unbelievable. Now I just need to get that clutch in there and it will be street ready!

But anyway back to the issue at hand. The fuel gauge worked fine before I messed with it. By messed with it I mean that I was trying to find the fuel pump and ended up finding the sender instead. All I did was pull it out, see that it wasnt what I was looking for and put it back (I might not have put it back in the tank with the same orientation that it was originally in) but once I put it back in the gauge would only read completely empty, no matter how much gas was in the tank. So my question is, is the thing just oriented wrong and causing it to malfunction or is it actually broken and its something else I have to spend money on.

Last edited:

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
well then try putting it in 90 or 180 degrees different than it is, just make sure that you blow off the retainer ring before you take it lost to insure no more junk goes into the tank.

im not saying its in there wrong cause its been so long since ive had my sending unit out so but its worth a try

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
correct installation of fuel sender :)
step2.jpg