Fuel during cranking , but no fuel in "on" position.

tko_mk3

Sep 6, 2010
Ohio
I am having a strange problem, the fuel pump and system worked fine before the 1jz swap. (87 7mge to 1jzgte) Now when I go to crank the car up the fuel pump only run's during cranking, and will not run when the ignition is in the normal position for driving. I am confused by this anybody have a clue whats going on here?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
fuel pump doesn't click, the fuel pump relay clicks you should hear the pump "prime" turn on for a brief moment to build the pressure. Then it goes quiet. When you crank the pump starts to pump again to keep the car running at the preset pressure.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
What kind of 1JZ electronics/ECU are you using? Soarer, supra?

If it's from a soarer there's a specific way to wire the body plugs so the fuel pump will run without the soarer's fuel pump control module. The info is in a sticky in this section of the forum.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
2 questions,

Do you still have the relay and resistor on the right strut tower? Is it removed? bypassed? still there?

What do you have connected to B1 pin 6?

tko_mk3

Sep 6, 2010
Ohio
mkiiichip;1801128 said:
2 questions,

Do you still have the relay and resistor on the right strut tower? Is it removed? bypassed? still there?

What do you have connected to B1 pin 6?

I left the relay and resistor alone so they are still intact as stock, I'll check my b1 pin 6 , I followed all the wiring guides so it "should" be hooked up correctly. However it still bothers me that its running while cranking but no other time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
On or near the intake side of things, there should be a diagnostics box. It's about a square inch in size, black, and has a bunch of places you can put a jumper (speaker wire, paper clips work well enough) to test out different things on the car. Don't have any pictures, but it should be pretty easy to find...

What Chip is saying is that it bypasses part of the fuel system, will help determine what needs done in your case.