Fuel demand and Power tables

KC Kirk

Nov 30, 2007
Kansas City
The attached spreadsheet is intended as a general guideline to help choose injector size, fuel pump, and horsepower targets. This spreadsheet allows you to change key values to meet your specific situation.

Should help to answer those questions like, "How much horsepower can I get if I use a Walbro fuel pump?"

I hope you find this useful. If anyone sees any errors, please let me know.

Thanks.

View attachment Fuel System and HP.xls

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Nice spreadsheet

Horrible flow (from a reading perspective).

It looks to jumbled up. Now it does what it is meant to do but the flow of the document, no where to be found.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
It looks like there's a lot of info in there, but fig is right, it's very difficult to read. I'll sit down and go through it thoroughly tonight and maybe even play with it a little.

KC Kirk

Nov 30, 2007
Kansas City
Does this step-by-step set of instructions make the table any better?

Caution. Change only the values in the gray areas or in the red square.

FORWARD ENGINEERING.

Step 1.
Enter the number of cylinders you engine has in this spot. Supras have 6

Engine Type / Cylinders = 6

Now work in the Table: INJECTOR FLOW RATES

Step 2. Determine the pressure at which your injector is calibrated and enter that value in the red square where you now see the “CALIB” value 43.5.

Step 3. Enter the value of your injector, for example, 680, into any one of the gray cells that now have 440, or 550, or 750 or 1000 or 1200 under the heading “INJECTOR SIZE”.

Step 4. Find the range of pressures for which your injectors are rated. For the RC Injectors it is 30 – 100 psi. Place a series of pressure values that span this range in the row marked “FLOW at various pressures (100% injector duty cycle)”. In the existing table these values are set to 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80. You can change these as you need.

Now work in the Table: FUEL PUMP DEMAND

Step 5. Look at the numbers that appear in the row that matches your injector size. These numbers are the maximum Pounds per Hour of fuel that all of your injectors would demand from your fuel pump if those injectors were running at 100%, at the various pressures reading from left to right.

Step 6. Now understand that these numbers must come close to what your fuel pump can deliver for at least one of the pressure settings. Check the chart/table that comes with your fuel pump and compare those pressure/flow values with the pressure/flow values you now see in this table for your injectors.

Step 7. If there are not any almost equal values, you either need different injectors or a different fuel pump.

Now work in Table titled “HP CALCULATIONS”

Step 8. Look at the row in this table that represents your injector size and read across to the column that represents the pressure that you will be running. (This pressure was what you determined in Step 6 above). The number is the potential crankshaft horsepower that can be made in your engine with the fuel that will be delivered by the injectors running at 80% of their potential.

REVERSE ENGINEERING

(Same general parameters set as above, # of cylinders, pressure ranges, injector cc sizes)

Work with the Table titled “HP CALCULATIONS”

Step 1. Pick a horsepower value you want.

Step 2. Find a corresponding injector size and pressure that makes you comfortable

Now work with the Table titled “FUEL PUMP DEMAND”

Step 3. Find the same place on this table for the injector size and pressure as you chose in the HP table. The value you are looking at is the amount of fuel you need your pump to deliver to your injectors at that pressure for your horsepower.

Step 4. Find a suitable fuel pump. Do some research. Get fuel pump data and find one that will come close to the values you found in the FUEL PUMP DEMAND table.

You now have chosen an injector and a fuel pump size that will meet or exceed your horsepower dreams.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kirk

it is not the how to's that are affecting the document.

Look at it this way.

Forget everything you know. Look at the document. Does it convey the message or does it lose the reader? I opened it and my eyes started to wonder all over the place. Then to get the info, I had to dig. :)

Basically think of it as a presentation.

Look at my spreadsheet for the turbo flow calculations. That is what it should achieve, simplicity in an otherwise complicated subject. No scrolling. Tabs for the different turbos. etc :)

KC Kirk

Nov 30, 2007
Kansas City
My Walbro only reliably puts out about 45 psi. If you don't have one, you should get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a pressure gauge. Get rid of the stock regulator and by-pass your J-tube.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
so if I'm doing my math right in order for me to make 600chp I need 750cc injectors at 55psi? and if my walbro can't do this then I'm gonna need ether a better pump or 1000's at 30psi or more? wow my idea of the injectors I would need was way off then lol